What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Munich: The Edge of War (2021)

We watched it at the weekend. A very good film that captured the time and the history well. Chamberlain has been less than fairly treated by many historians. In his own way he was simply trying to delay an inevitable war.

I started to watch this last night, but fell asleep. Not sure if it was because it was a little slow, or just because I am getting old. I need to try watching it again, but earlier in the day. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

The Chamberlain Hitler affair was a purely European matter. I am sure that most Americans still don't know anything about it. And also most in US were against interfering in that "European" war. But it is a crucial moment in British, German and pan-European history. Maybe watching this will interest you a bit more in this movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_BwDGBS-yc. After all, your name is "WWIIBuff".

In defence of Chamberlain, here is a possible benefit of the extra time gotten through a delay in war between Britain and Germany http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/100548-Castles-in-the-sky-(2014)?highlight=castles+sky. This movie, Castles in the sky, describes the British development of RADAR right before IIWW. If the war started earlier, British military would not be spending time on this outrageous idea of being able to detect German planes before seeing them visually.

Castles in the Sky is an excellent film. Eddie Izzard exceptional as Robert Watson Watt.

There's one story in the development of radar that I really like. The German's sent a Zeppelin across the North Sea to try to pick up 'radio location beams'. They flew in cloud and were invisible to the naked eye. However they were tracked all the way by Watson Watt and his team, whilst the Germans were scanning the wrong frequencies and got nothing.

In defence of Chamberlain, here is a possible benefit of the extra time gotten through a delay in war between Britain and Germany http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/100548-Castles-in-the-sky-(2014)?highlight=castles+sky. This movie, Castles in the sky, describes the British development of RADAR right before IIWW. If the war started earlier, British military would not be spending time on this outrageous idea of being able to detect German planes before seeing them visually.

A link to Pearl Harbor there as well. We gave the USA a mobile radar outfit that tracked the Japanese planes from the carriers towards the Hawaii Islands. However the operators were told they were seeing B17s coming in. Sometimes you have to believe the technology.

Thanks for another movie referral. I just ordered the DVD (for only $1.00 more than what Amazon wanted to charge me to watch it) so I look forward to watching this in a week or so.

Watched Castles in the Sky last weekend and really enjoyed it. I am not sure how accurate the politics part was, but I am sure there were a lot of ego challenges to overcome, I am just glad they did.

In my opinion, the British make much better programs about WWII than the US does. This was just another example of many.

I finished watching Munich: The Edge of War as well, and the production itself was just OK in my opinion, but I did learn and now understand that there was a whole lot more to the signing of the agreement than I previously thought. I now have more of an appreciation for the position PM Chamberlain was in, and agree that what he accomplished definitely bought the British much needed time to better arm themselves.

Last edited:
Glad you are becoming an expert on Neville Chamberlain. I read up on his input in the relations between the Crown and Ireland, pertaining to the continued separation of two of them, and got utterly confused. I think I'll just study Russia Ukraine affair.....