Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

20mm madsen cases

Hi all I hope everyone is keeping safe and well, I am looking for some 20mm German Madsen cases (either steel or brass) ideally in good condition, if anyone has any spare ones that are looking for a new home then please send me a PM -ideally with pics and prices then that would be appreciated.

cheers womble

Hoeksel
    Just to clarify, as far as I know German made brass cases do not exist. You will find steel Kriegsmarine cases, or German used Danish made brass cases. I have never seen a Danish brass case with German markings.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoeksel For This Useful Post:

Weasel (12th February 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoeksel View Post
    ...or German used Danish made brass cases...
    Indeed, Danish 20mm Madsen brass cases with the German code pjj for the Ammunitionsarsenal (we know this from 9x19) do exist. But they are extremly rare. I guess only a small lot was made and maybe it never saw German service. The only specimen I know of has the pjj crossed out and used/reused post-1945 by the Danes for a TP load (with appropriate markings added to the head).
    Last edited by Defender; 12th February 2022 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Indeed, Danish 20mm Madsen brass cases with the German code pjj for the Ammunitionsarsenal (we know this from 9x19) do exist. But they are extremly rare. I guess only a small lot was made and maybe it never saw German service. The only specimen I know of has the pjj crossed out and used/reused post-1945 by the Danes for a TP load (with appropriate markings added to the head).
    Thank you Hoeksel/ Defender for you posts ....the information I have indicates that the Germans reload Danish brass madsen cases some being marked with an asterix and some not being marked at all, these are less common than the steel ones. cheers womble

Thanks
    DSC_0758.jpg

Hi all Please see pics of a 1940 case that has been reloaded 44 cheers wombleDSC_0757.jpg
    Last edited by womble; 13th February 2022 at 07:39 PM. Reason: sorry at to edit attached wrong pic

Thanks
    I'm sorry, but what I see is a fired Danish case and an unfired German projectile stuffed together.
    I have never heard of a German reloaded Danish brass case nor seen one. The asterix you've mentioned is clearly a DANISH reloading mark.
    BTW: The Ø on the head indicates a Danish TP. There is no relation to a HE projectile. And 1943 has nothing to do with a reloading. According to the Danish marking system this case was made in 1943 with brass material delivered 1940.

PS: Do not be confused by the dates on the case. It is true that Germany occupied Denmark in April 1940. But Denmark initially retained its independent status and the Danish army was not disbanded until 1943. Even Danish armament production continued until then.
    Last edited by Defender; 13th February 2022 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    Defender thank you for your post, in p Labbett technical guide this states that for a short time the German reloaded Danish cases either were stamped with an asterix or no stamping .

cheers womble

Thanks
    Defender/Hoeksel

Please see attached pic taken from the folders/notes created by the author of the Technical guides, showing German HE brass cased madsen. cheers womble

DSC_0765.jpg

Thanks
    Following on from my last post I have also found within the folders/notes that Finnish brass Madsen cases were also reloaded with German projectiles. cheers womble

PS with regards my first post if anyone has any German cases- manufactured or used by them then please PM me, it would appear that I stand a better chance of finding steel ones

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    ...showing German HE brass cased madsen...
    Hi, womble
    Call me an annoying pedant, but I can only judge of what I see.
    Without a pic of the headstamp it could be British, Danish, Finnish or Swiss brass. Maybe my eyes deceiving me, but does the brass case not have a neck crimp?
    It's a pitty we cannot ask anymore for the background or the purpose the picture was taken. Leaving us speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    ...Finnish brass Madsen cases were also reloaded with German projectiles...
    1941-43 Finland purchased about 250.000 projectiles from DWM. These were loaded at Oy Tikkakoski using Finnish brass cases. Guess this is the point here.
    Last edited by Defender; 14th February 2022 at 08:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast