What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pistol MK.4 for British Torpedo?

Anders

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
Ordnance approved
Can any one tell me about the pistol for this British torpedo? Diagram of the torpedo type would be a great help.
Is it a rare find or are they common?
Torpedo 1.jpgTorpedo 2.jpgTorpedo 3.jpgTorpedo 4.jpg

Rare and expensive. The last one I saw passing in this condition with box went away for 1700 euro's

Nice find! :tinysmile_shy_t:

The 21" were used for either surface launched or submarine usage and were used on the British Mk V111 torpedoes, introduced in WW2 and only retired in the 1980s after the Falklands conflict.

Fairly uncommon /rare these days, but they do surface.

The 18" aircraft equivalent are even rarer - haha I have a beautiful Mahogany storage box (prior to the metal issued ones) for an 18" one, but no pistol :tinysmile_cry_t4:

Cheers
Drew

BTW - if anyone is interested, I actually have a spare one for trade /sale complete with its box - just PM me

Attachments

• Elevhefte i Engelsk Torpedo Mk VIII & Mk IX_Page_08.jpg
    Elevhefte i Engelsk Torpedo Mk VIII & Mk IX_Page_08.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Didn't Ben have these for sale on his stall at the war and peace show a while back.

I bought this from Ben years ago at the ECRA meeting in the Landhorst Netherlands for €250. Kept it for a few years and then sold it to a naval museum for good money.

Attachments

• Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 01.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 01.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 02.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 02.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 03.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 03.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 04.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 04.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 05.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 05.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 06.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 06.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 07.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 07.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 12
Didn't Ben have these for sale on his stall at the war and peace show a while back.

Hi Chris,
Depending what you would define as a "while back"- there's a photo showing one along with a German Pi-1 back in the 2009 W&P (search BOCN) and Ben may had one or two still hanging around in 2014 (not the Pi-1)
This was well after Harry bought his one from Ben.
Since then, one surfaced in the UK around 2017 (Stroud Auctions), and under the impression that perhaps a couple others were for sale around then along with depth charge pistols.
They are far less common in Australia
Cheers
Drew

Fantastic find!

Many years ago, the late, great, Michael Saffery, had a bunch of these. Wish I had bought one. I think they were called, compressed coil pistols??

Jason