What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles about Japanese ammunition (1880-1945, 12.7mm and taller) - comments welcomed

ogreve

Hi guys,
It's been years since the last time I posted anything here, and indeed in the past years I have been a lot less active with the ammo hobby than I used to be up to about 2015.
Back then, I wrote some articles about Japanese ammunition of 12.7mm and taller, up to the end of WW2.
These articles came about after I had some talks with Tony Williams, about how it would be nice to share some information about the difficult to collect and comprehend realm of Japanese ammunition.
So, back in 2014/2015 I wrote in total 3 articles, all of which have been published in full in the periodic magazine of the NVBMB (= Dutch ECRA leg), in Dutch.
For the English version, I know that Tony did publish part or all of the articles that I sent in, in The Cartridge Researcher. I have not seen the end result of all of it, but if I am not mistaken he summarised the articles, but I am not sure up to what extent.

Either way around: I recently decided to get somewhat more active again with the hobby of collecting and studying Japanese ammunition and also to revise the articles and to see what new findings and information may have come forward since writing those articles. I cannot find a fully done English translation of the second part of my article on Japanese Army ammunition, and indeed it seems that back in 2015 I only finished translating the first part of that.
So. I finished the translation of that second part now, and while doing so I decided to let its contents not truly deviate from what I previously wrote in the Dutch version (despite having uncovered some new things myself in the period after having written the Dutch version), so the articles would be 'matched in content'.

I would like to share these three articles with you all here now and when I wrote them it was always my intention/hope that people would take a critical look (or rather: 'extensive read') at them and that hopefully some or part of the info and assumptions that are not correct or that are incomplete, could be corrected and/or completed.
I have, however, not received much feedback in that aspect, except from 'Gspragge' who has taken a critical look at some of the things I wrote about 37x94R and 47x131R Hotchkiss ammo.

Such feedback is precisely what I was hoping for, and I welcome anyone to take a critical look at the articles, and I always welcome all forms of feedback. No worries: I have no long toes, and I do not mind receiving negative feedback either, just as long as there is a solid basis for the feedback. :)

Unfortunately, the forum software only allows a maximum PDF size of 500 KB, which is not big enough for the articles, not even after downsizing the images in them to 150 DPI.
But ... never despair!
I have put them up for download too on my website about Japanese Ammunition (which I've otherwise never gotten around to fill well).

The articles can be downloaded in Dutch and in English, in "full-size" versions and also as "lightweight" version with 150 DPI images, from the following three pages:

Article 1: General introduction
http://japaneseammunition.com/start.php?main_cat=31&sub_cat=279&access=view&exp_sub_cat=279

Article 2: Early IJN (Imperial Japanese Navy) ammunition
http://japaneseammunition.com/start.php?main_cat=31&sub_cat=280&access=view&exp_sub_cat=280

Article 3: Early IJA (Imperial Japanese Army) ammunition
http://japaneseammunition.com/start.php?main_cat=31&sub_cat=282&access=view&exp_sub_cat=282

I hope everyone enjoys these articles and that some new information comes forward!
As always, I welcome all kinds of feedback, and should you have Japanese items available for trade/sale, I would love to hear about it too (even if I already owns specimens of it). :)

Enjoy!
Olaf

Thanks Tony!
Long time, no see. :)
Do you have a kind of overview of up to where these articles were published in The Cartridge Researcher?
I suspect I sent you all of it up to the first half (inclusive) of article 3 (early IJA ammo).
It would be awesome if the remainder could be published too.

Thanks Tony!
Long time, no see. :)
Do you have a kind of overview of up to where these articles were published in The Cartridge Researcher?
I suspect I sent you all of it up to the first half (inclusive) of article 3 (early IJA ammo).
It would be awesome if the remainder could be published too.

Yes, I'll have to do some digging but I will have the copies of The Cartridge Researcher with your material in (in one form or another).

I am no longer the Editor of the journal, so I can't promise to post more articles, but as I well recall, the Editor is always on the lookout for interesting items!

OK, found them. The journal references for your Japanese Ammunition articles are as follows:

Part 1 issue 590 (June 2014)
Part 2 issue 591 (July 2014)
Part 3 issue 592 (August 2014)
Part 4 (early navy ammo part 1) issue 596 (December 2014)
Part 5 (early navy ammo part 2) issue 597 (Jan 2015)
Part 6 (early navy ammo part 3) issue 599 (March 2015)
Part 7 (early navy ammo part 4) issue 601 (May 2015)
Part 8 (early navy ammo part 5) issue 603 (July 2015)

That's as far as they went: the final article mentioned that the next stage would be an article on late naval ammo plus one on IJA ammo, but these never appeared.

Hi guys!

@Charley: Hiya! It's awesome to see you too again! I hope all has been good for you?

@Tony: Thanks so much for that overview! I wasn't aware that you were no longer the editor! Thanks for telling me and for bringing the article(s) under Tim's attention.
OK, so it seems that instead of having sent you the first half of article 3 (i.e. the part that I did translate back in 2015 already), I probably had decided to wait until the entire article would have been translated ....
...which then didn't happen until last week. :p

@Tim: Hi - nice to meet you! :)
Good to see that indeed you do take an interesting in items for The Cartridge Researcher.
If indeed article 2 (i.e. the one about early IJN ammo) was fully published by July 2015, it seems that only article 3 in its entirety hasn't yet been published.
If you'd like to publish it, that would be awesome!
As a guideline, the Dutch version of it was published in the Dutch magazine, split in two parts (part 1 in late 2014, part 2 in early 2015). The article was written with such a split in mind, but I see that indeed Tony did use to spread the articles over more editions than that. If you'd like, I can take a look with you together at what would work, as per the available 'bandwidth' per edition?
I'll PM you an email address for it.

Cheers all!

Olaf