What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm APDS PRAC projectile

batonroundcollector

Premium Member
Just bought this... I'm aware it's British made (I know 'RLB' marking is ROF Birtley, and assume 6-87 is date) but for export - the question is where to? I've seen these or similar stated to be for Netherlands but NL replaced their Centurion tanks (with the 105mm gun) in the 1980s so didn't think this could be right? Projectile came with brown-painted metal tin but had markings painted out for disposal so no clues there... Other than manufacturer and date, what do other codes indicate? Thanks :)

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
What need would UK have for 105mm tank ammo of any kind in 1987, many years after Centurion had been replaced by Chieftain (120mm gun)?

Royal Engineer Cent AVRE 105 and Royal Artillery OP tanks, though admittedly, neither should have been firing anything but HESH.

Last edited:
Nope, Royal Engineer Cent AVRE 105s only used HESH rounds (not APDS) and Royal Artillery OP Cents were retired in the '80s.

Back to the question - where were these for export to?

As above, my post refers to APDS, but yes I wouldn't think that UK had requirement for any new 105mm tank ammo by 1987. I surmise that neither of you have any answers to the questions in my post. Anyone know?

I’ve personally seen several near identical projectiles in Canada, besides the 105mm MkV Centurion Canada also operated the 105mm L7 armed Leopard C1. Canada used many British made cartridges / projectiles such as for the 76mm ARMDC and seen a few British made 105mm TP-HESH projectiles as well. Just my guess though!

Well in that time period RO Defence were developing an ordnance system based on the 105mm L7 system for upgrading T-series tanks. They were also developing the 105mm LRF (Low Recoil Force) system, complete elevating mass, for use with the CAD-GAGE Stringray Light tank which was sold to Thailand. A third system was the high performance 105mm IWS ordnance which fired a improved FSAPDS round but could also fire standard L7 natures.

If I remember right the SX-149 number refers to the drawing number for the assembly.

Yes the T-54, T-55 and Type 59 medium tanks. Upgrades ranged from ordnance upgrade to full vehicle development. All intended for foreign customers needing modernisation of their systems.