What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GSW 44 Marked Black Can

WW2Junky

Good day,

I recently bought what I believe to a Canadian ammo can. The entire metal can is black with light blue stripes on the sides and a single stripe on each end. One stripe is going around the entire length of the can and the other stripe from top to bottom. They cross in the middle on the sides. It is mark GSW 44 on each end of the can and has a single fabric strap that can be adjusted on both sides to grip in the middle of the can. The lid has pull handles on each side, it is not hinged or attached and there is a circle inspection stamp with an arrow and a number2 on the top. It is about the same size as a WW2 German MG34 or MG42 ammo can. Any help in the identification of this can and what it held would be much appreciated. Sorry no pictures yet. Thank you and best regards.

Not a ammo can inner ie a lead sealed rip pull can that is air and water tight, very common but often trashed.

Thank you all for the reply. It looks like the top picture with the black box. Mine also has blue stripes. What does it hold? Thank you all again.

Last edited: