What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18pdr shrapnel

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi, I picked this relic 18pdr up the other day, Its not been fired but has had the drive band removed at some point, It still had its powder tin stuck in the bottom (empty I might add) which I manged to get out and the pusher plate is still there, no marking at all, any idea why it has a ridge around the neck of the shell as all the ones I have seen are plane ?.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 18pdr and tin.jpg
    18pdr and tin.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 43
  • 18pdr top.jpg
    18pdr top.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 18pdr.jpg
    18pdr.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 37
The rebate around the lip of the shell is to hold the fuze cover on for a No. 85 fuze. So it will be a mk VIII or IX shell or one that used a No. 85 fuze. I have a drawing somewhere which I’ll try to find.

The rebate around the lip of the shell is to hold the fuze cover on for a No. 85 fuze. So it will be a mk VIII or IX shell or one that used a No. 85 fuze. I have a drawing somewhere which I’ll try to find.

That's great and many thanks Darkman.
Cheers
Andy

Andy,

Here’s the drawing of the No. 85 fuze from the 1917 handbook for 18 Prs. Not quite accurate as the rebate is closer to the top of the shell, but you get the idea. It appears that these fuze covers also had a tear off strip.

Regards,

Graeme Davenport

Attachments

• 84CC224B-15A4-43B0-A636-7AC4E45E77AB.jpeg
    84CC224B-15A4-43B0-A636-7AC4E45E77AB.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 31
Andy,

Here’s the drawing of the No. 85 fuze from the 1917 handbook for 18 Prs. Not quite accurate as the rebate is closer to the top of the shell, but you get the idea. It appears that these fuze covers also had a tear off strip.

Regards,

Graeme Davenport

Thanks Graeme, I will have to keep a look out for one and cover. going to see if I can re-band it a bit later.
Cheers
Andy