What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need ID on this bomb

weberoed

Ordnance approved
received_391302599068180.jpegreceived_503679694474176.jpegNeed an ID on this bomb and fuze. Fuze was under the nose element. The fuze seems too modern for the bomb. Not 100% on location maybe Myramar

The body looks very much "Chinese" but the tail with its 6 fins and circle band reinforcement is quite an uncommon feature in modern bombs, and to the best of my knowledge not a feature found in any Chinese bomb.
Could it be a Soviet OFAB-250-270 even though it lacks its characteristic nose anti-ricochet ring (that often breaks on impact) - Maybe a local improvised bomb built on the basis of such a dud bomb ?

Bomb_OFAB-250-270_2009_G1.jpg Bomb plfaga-ofab250270aerialbombinparkpatriot01.jpg

164443_52536461_image.jpeg 164443_73551047_image.jpeg 164443_294204203_image.jpeg 164443_490340346_image.jpeg 164443_58840840_image.jpeg 164443_113155458_image.jpeg

Last edited:
am looking through my russian bomb folders but nothing. and why would they have what loos like a early model US FMU electric fuze?

Definitely not the same but the fin layout is very similar to the Iraqi 250 KAAKAA Frag bomb. The fuze location is quite unique. Could be a testbed for experiments?

This appears to be the same bomb as this one dropped by the Myanmar airforce against the rebels in the province of Karenni.
250kg FAB from Serbia in Myanmar undetonated_bomb_site.jpeg
This has been identified as a 250kg FAB bomb of Serbian origin sold by through the Sloboda company to the Myanmar new governement.
Myanmar Air Force also bought 20 Soko G-4 Super Galeb armed jet trainers from Yugoslavia in 1991 .
This same bomb seems to be seen on the ground in this display of the armament on the G-4 , rear rank, inner position (click to enlarge)
G4 Display 18848_537389049_G4 BURMA.jpg

and a better view of the bomb of the first post from its original report (click to enlarge for High resolution):
Title "
Karenni Army officers are seen with the bomb in question after digging it out of the earth in Sawng Dula village, Demoso Township, Karenni state (KNDF)"
Myanmar undetonated_bomb.jpg
"....further examination of the unexploded bomb in Karenni State could confirm its country of origin [Serbia], noting that the major components differentiating bombs’ manufacturers were apparent in the design of the tails, as well as possibly in lettering on the device. ... the two red bands marked on the device suggest that the bomb could be a type of incendiary weapon, but was not able to identify the bomb accurately with the photos and data currently available...

Last edited:
It does look like the one found in Karenni. But the ones displayed around the plane don't have enough fins.

I agree - what seemed to be a 6 fins tail may be an artefact.
Here's another pic of the bomb found in Karenni
Myanmar FN4FtxeXEAAURRT.jpg

Problem:
1 succeeded to get the documentation of the above mentioned sales of Serbian aerial bombs to Myanmar - this bomb does not appear there:
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

I also consulted the catalogs of Serbian bombs producers (Krusic, Valir, UTVA and Sloboda) - this bomb does not appear there
I went slowly and at length through the pages of the Serbian military forum - nil
So what can this be?

Last edited: