What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'P' Gun

ozziammo

I enjoy life more when I learn new things, so I am hoping someone here can help me learn about a different cart. I picked up yesterday? You have all probably heard of the 'S' Gun, but I have picked up a cart marked 'P' Gun????? The cart measures: 47mm caliber x 326mm Lg x 59mm rim dia. The rim thickness is 4.5mm. Please see the attached pics of this cartridge in the hope of enlightening me of what it is & what sort of gun it was used in please? The mouth is slightly flared but accepts a 3pdr (47mm proj.) snug. Regards Ozzi.

220326165558871.jpgDSCF8353.jpg220326165433774.jpg220326165614919.jpg

Last edited:
Oh WOW, thanks for the info. Amazing what is still around! Incredible to find 1 in Australia!
Regards Ozzi.

Your telling me, & an absolute stroke of luck how it came to me! I went to visit a friend in his office, in the very short hall opposite his office door, there is a filing cabinet with a steel fire bucket sitting on top of it, either side of the bucket were 2 cart. cases. I had been talking to him for about an hour outside his office & noticed these 2 cases, I recognised 1 as a 40mm Bofors. The other had me a bit intrigued as it looked like a 2pdr Atk cart, but there was something not quite right about it that had me looking at it for some time as we talked. After our in-depth conversation I finally plucked up enough courage to ask to have a look at the carts. sure enough 1 was a Bofors, but the other had me wondering about the thick rim that was not stepped like a 2pdr. On turning it over & reading the headstamp, I nearly fell over as I had no idea what it was that I was holding. The friend said to me if it interests you then take it! I just could not believe my luck, being able to put a new cart. into the collection that I had no idea about! The rest, as they say, is history!