What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring distorted pictures of books with "Krita"

Alpini

Premium Member
Hello,

this time it's not really a restoration of ordnance but still a bit ordnance releated. The collectors of (digital) ordnance documents should know the problem: sometimes it's not possible to scan books when they are fragile or it is simply not allowed (in most libraries and archives). So the only chance is to take photos of the pages but the results are often much distorted. During the last years I used the image transformation utility of a very old Paint Shop Pro version but it only allows linear/trapezoidal transformation. That's ok for perspective corrections but not good to correct distortion caused by wavy pages as these distortions are curve-shaped.

Some weeks ago I discovered the image editing tool named "Krita". Since about a year this nice program has a tool called "mesh transform" which works perfect to repair distorted pages within a few minutes. There's a nice video in Youtube explaining how to use this tool. I was really happy when I found "Krita" because it does the job really well as it will handle really large files (I tried with images larger than 1 GB), it's fast, the usage is intuitive and the possibilities are almost unlimited. And there are good news, Krita is free and open source and available for all common platforms.

Hope this may be useful to some other members here too.

Now I let some images and screenshots speak. My test-picture is showing a document from 1916 of the German Polte cartridge factory about a delivery of 6000 15 cm artillery cases for the s.F.H.02 field howitzer, packaged in 200 boxes in two railway wagons.

Attachments

• Bilda1.jpg
    Bilda1.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Bilda2.jpg
    Bilda2.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Bilda3.jpg
    Bilda3.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20220221_131113a.jpg
    IMG_20220221_131113a.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20220221_131113.jpg
    IMG_20220221_131113.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 42
Many thanks it looks brilliant and I'll be trying it out over the next few days. Depotman

p.s. still looking for software to sort out or improve scans of WW2 'carbon copies'.