What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No33 mk2

EnfieldMills

Afternoon,

I have just purchased this no33 mk2. Anyone seen one before with a concave base like this?

All the best,
Luke

29265.jpg29265a.jpg29265b.jpg

I've only ever handled a couple of these and they both had rounded bases. It would have been quite a sensible change (for handling) but would have reduced the content.

Last edited:
Hi I'm not a grenade collector,but for reference can you give a bit of history? If I saw that in a junk shop I wouldn't assume it was a grenade and would walk past it! I assume gas or incendiary of some sort?
Cheers,T.

Hi I'm not a grenade collector,but for reference can you give a bit of history? If I saw that in a junk shop I wouldn't assume it was a grenade and would walk past it! I assume gas or incendiary of some sort?
Cheers,T.

Evening, The no33 is a simple tin grenade either filled with HE or gas (I think). Can't find my notes typically. Design is basically a updated no21. It used a simple friction fuze with brassard.

Something strange is the size of top device (seems to be bigger on No33).

33.jpg29265a.jpg

What is the really date of introduction, I thought it was at the end of ww1 (and not 1919) ?

Last edited:
Something strange is the size of top device (seems to be bigger on No33).

View attachment 175681View attachment 175682

What is the really date of introduction, I thought it was at the end of ww1 (and not 1919) ?
The No 33 'E' Type was brought into service in 1915 (although the List of Changes took until 1919 to record the event).
The 'E' Type (3-inch diameter) and a larger (4-inch 'D' Type) were essentially for training purposes and, when filled with 'Hillite' could provide the lachrymator for anti-gas training. I believe the last purchase of No 33 Grenades was in the late 1930s for the Air Raid Department to train civil defence personnel.

Norman, in your book (British grenades section 2, alphabetic series) they are not referred as "no. 33 type..." just "Type E" and "Type D"

Apologies yes, I should perhaps have left off the No 33 in the text. Examples of the nomenclature of the alphabetic series of grenades are uncommon. I have one instruction card showing the nomenclature for the Type D (dated October 1915) as:

GRENADES SPHERICAL - TYPE "D," 4" DIAMETER.

A list by Capt Mirehouse of the Inspection Dept, Trench Warfare, Woolwich Arsenal dated September 1917 includes the following 'names' for alphabetic grenades:

Spherical Type "D" Instructional
Spherical Type "E" Instructional
Spherical Type "F" Instructional

I hope that is of some use.

The No 33 'E' Type was brought into service in 1915 (although the List of Changes took until 1919 to record the event).
The 'E' Type (3-inch diameter) and a larger (4-inch 'D' Type) were essentially for training purposes and, when filled with 'Hillite' could provide the lachrymator for anti-gas training. I believe the last purchase of No 33 Grenades was in the late 1930s for the Air Raid Department to train civil defence personnel.

It just arrived today. Its 4 inches across so D type then? Would that explain the concave base and red paint?

Cheers, Luke