What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6pdr Hotchkiss headstamp markings id

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
Good evening, I wonder if anyone can identify the meanings of, or reasons for, a couple of the markings on the base of this 6pdr case. In particular the L.H 136, and the odd symbol in a circle.

many thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 6C4C30CA-660A-4378-9851-05EF46953310.jpg
    6C4C30CA-660A-4378-9851-05EF46953310.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 61
Dave, the odd symbol in a circle is a barred out Roman numeral I. The I in a circle on some 3 and 6 Pr cases referred to the type of press in primer fitted (you will find more info on this in various ammunition treatise books). This case has been modified to accept a later screw in primer.

The L.H.136. is in a different font and may have been added later. Perhaps an ownership reference to a particular unit or battery? Has the case been cut down to a saluting blank at all?

Graeme

Expanding on what Graeme wrote, The encircled '1' on 6 Pr and 3 Pr cases denotes that the case was fitted with a Mark II (thin) cap.

One would expect that this was barred out when the case was converted to take screw in primers.

The LH136 is the monogram or initials of a repairing station, quite possibly the facility that carried out the conversion. The numbers denote the series or batch number.

The 'D' beneath the encircled 'A' denotes the year when the case annealed.

TimG

Many thanks for that Tim, that’s interesting about the D representing a year, hadn’t heard of that before.

regards Dave