What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Museum Wax

BMG50

Premium Member
Need to wax cleaned but rusty patina ordnance to stop the rust from coming back and to protect the piece without having to oil every three minutes. what are the popular waxes that collectors use.

Renaissance Wax for most applications. For other uses, such as inside spherical shells where access is difficult, I melt solid microcrystalline wax, pour that in, swill it around & pour it back out. This works best if the object is warmed up. I have also used this to some extent on small fragile organic objects whereby I dunk the item into a pot of the melted wax, leave it in for long enough to heat the object (not long, up to 10 seconds or so) and then remove it & let the excess wax drain off back into the pot; if the object is very warm then the wax will largely drain off it & leave behind only a very thin coating, which is what is wanted, but if the object is cool then the wax will want to solidify on contact & will deposit a thick coating which will not look great and may turn white.

Last edited: