What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Inch Catapult Cartridge Cases.

ron3350

I managed to find two different converted 6" Coast Gun cases that were used as Catapult rounds to launch aeroplanes from ships by UK and Australia during WW2.

1. Catapult No1 11 by MF AN 1938. Converted B 111* 1901 case. 369mm long and a plug primer.

2. Catapult No1* by RL 1935. Converted KN 111 1900 case. 368mm long ? Primer is No11 Mk11 by ME Australia so maybe used here.

Both cases were flared at the mouth for vases and shortened. I still need to find a nice 6" coast gun case with the mouth cut-outs someday.
Who has seen an 8" Catapult steel case as mentioned in the 1945 Naval Ammunition Handbook B.R.932 (1945)?
I thought that 6" was the largest case diameter used by UK during both wars. Zoom in for clearer picture of markings.

Catapult No1 11 Australian.jpgCatapult No1* British.jpgInfo 1.jpgInfo 2.jpg

Hi Ron,I haven't seen anything bigger than 6", the smaller case with 3 tabs and the taller case with the threaded top which were used in post war ships. Interesting that the 8" case was steel? That would be an oddball in British service.

Wow, this 1 is almost identical! Also flared for a vase!

Attachments

• DSCN0984.jpg
    DSCN0984.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 32