What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does "With Pads" mean on U.S. Bombs

HAZORD

Premium Member
I've asked this question here a few years back and no one could answer it then.

WWII era GP bombs and Vietnam era M117 750 Lb. bombs have been labeled with "With Pads" included in their nomenclature as shown in the photos.

What does with pads mean?

Attachments

• welford_2_i00000d.jpg
    welford_2_i00000d.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF8518.jpg
    DSCF8518.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 55
Hazord,

British publication AP1661B contains a cross section drawing of an AN-M65 bomb (it was used by the RAF in WWII). At either end of the bomb there is a different filling to the main filling which is denoted by the use of different cross hatching. Unusually, the drawing is not particularly well annotated and no explanation is given as to the nature of the front and rear material.

In OP 1664 - U.S Explosive Ordnance page 386 is the following -

"Tests conducted by the Army have shown that inert nose and tail surrounds improve safety in handling of G.P. and S.A.P. bombs. On the basis of these tests, the majority of G.P. and S.A.P. bombs loaded at the present time have inert nose and tail surrounds."

It goes on to to describe the inert filling which is mostly ester gum and kaolin.

Same publication on page 356, is a sectioned diagram of a 2,000 lb M103 S.A.P. bomb. This shows a wax filling in the nose and is annotated 'Wax pad'

It would thus appear that the 'Pads' marking on the bombs refers to inert material in the nose and tail of the bomb.

TimG

Last edited:
Thanks guys! That's kind of what I was thinking.

Tim, I had a feeling that you would know the answer!

Last edited: