What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

abschussgerät 37 ?

The term abschussgerät ("device") appear to have been used in the interwar period by the German military with the meaning of "large gun barrel"
It progressively became progressively used for designating the "launch tubes" for rocket projectiles installed under Luftwaffe planes in the last years of ww2 (for instance the Werfer-Granate 21) .

Although one cannot totally exclude the possibility the term "abschussgerät 37" may have been used to designate the Anti-Tank "Bordkanone 3,7", a 37mm gun mounted under the wings of the Ju87G-1 and G-2 ( the late version of the Stuka), I must say that I have never seen in any document such an appellation being used for designating this gun.

HOWEVER the term "Gerät 37" was originally used by Rheinmetall to designate its highly successful Anti-Aircraft gun that was renamed in the spring of 1941 when its further production and development was taken over by Krupp as the 8,8-cm Flak 41 AA gun.

Last edited:
I'm sure there was an aircraft-mounted upward-firing gun of about that calibre so that German aircraft could counter allied bombers while not being seen by the crew of their victim.

I'm sure there was an aircraft-mounted upward-firing gun of about that calibre so that German aircraft could counter allied bombers while not being seen by the crew of their victim.
The Schräge Musik oblique guns mount installation used by the Germans in last years of ww2 was based on regular Luftwaffe aircraft guns - 20mm MG151/20 or MG FF/M and 30mm MK 108.
The Japanese, besides similar installations based on 20 mm Type 99 cannons, also used a 37mm Ho-203 cannon in such a way but this las gun was an original Japanese design without any relation with German guns.

Were and in what relation have you found this writing? Do you have a copy of the writing?