What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Cartridges

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Looking for information on these French made flare and riot control cartridges.

Joe

Attachments

• Side.JPG
    Side.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 94
The items I think are Swiss ...
I have F as several different countries:
French, Italy, and Germany all use F as a manufacturer code.

Joe

When I read the complete marking, I can read "ATTRAPPE".
When I write it in Google translate, it answer me : language German, translation of practice.

So, I look on my manufacturers codes, speaking German and I have
Germany : Heise Karl, Maschinenbaugesellschaft, Leipzig Böhlitz Ehrenberg
Germany : F. Feistel Pyrotechnik, Göllheim Pfalz

I have nothing more of German speaking manufacturers. I hope someone shall can help with Swiss or Austrian

Yoda

Possibly loaded by 'Feistel Pyrotechnik'? Edit: Sorry Yoda, I see you’ve already suggested that one!

Last edited:
They're both riot control cartridges (and as such I'd like them myself!) - on the left is multi rubber bullet and on the right irritant cartridge, with CS filling, 'range approx. 150 m'. Both are dummy ('ATRAPPE'). Suppose 08 . 87 is date of manufacturer. Given the controversial nature of such items and how they may be used (often suppressing political dissent by questionable regimes) maker marks are often deliberately vague.

Yes text is German so I suppose that would indicate for use with a German-speaking force (Germany - the BRD or West German back in 1987 - or Switzerland) rather than necessarily of German manufacturer. A clue might be in the 40mm calibre, as many nations use 37- or 38mm anti-riot weapons.

They're both riot control cartridges (and as such I'd like them myself!) -

Marc, they were both for sale in the USA, but on a site that Europeans can no longer use.
The seller described them as Swiss manufactured, but I cannot find any info on them. I had thought B&T but I cannot explain the F on the case markings, and there is no head-stamp on the cases.

Attachments

• EA3F5A80-C15A-4CB4-AA79-B91F4192F0E7.jpg
    EA3F5A80-C15A-4CB4-AA79-B91F4192F0E7.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 16
  • F10DA819-9C5D-40BA-BB64-E452B8E37038.jpeg
    F10DA819-9C5D-40BA-BB64-E452B8E37038.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 20
George, I haven't seen F marking on similar items. Going by a SIR 40mm round I have, Brügger & Thomet cases are marked simply as 'BT'...

Very interesting cartridges. Silberhütte made some similar ammunition for a while. I have pictures of the 37/38mm rounds from 80s, but pictures of ammo do not have an F.

Pyrotechnik Silberhütte was a division of NICO, now Rheinmetal.
20220429_153451.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a picture of a Feistel loaded 1.5" - 37/38mm plastic baton round from 1990. This one has a three letter loading code (PPF), which was a requirement on UK contracts by that time, but you can still see some similarities with the markings on the OP rounds, Pete.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 22