What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5" MKII headstamp and 37mm1916

assafx

Good Morning,

DSC_2052.jpg

I was able to read part of the headstamp and understood that it was filled again and was scleroscoped.
Is RLB is the Royal laboratory? what is LT?
in the primer i am guessing that ESS is the manufacturer and i will be glad to know its name.

DSC_2049.jpg

While most of the writing is readable, the manufacturer seems to only have S[]R (next to 1942).
I will need help with that too.

Thank you,
Assaf

Your first case is a 3.45",case- same as the 25Pr case but called 3.45" in 1937 & 38. Lot 114 (not LT). ESS made the primer.
These cases are quite collectable. The 37mm M16 case is for tanks and Anti-tank guns USA.

Ron, Thank You !
I'm not a collector, just an archeologist so these items will stay in the store.

I completely missed the 3 and since the Egyptian army, in 1948, also had old 4.5 inch howitzers, i assumed it was that without even measuring the diameter of the case !
Do you know what company is behind the ESS trademark?

I know that the 37mm M16 is an AT ammunition and most likely was used by Egyptian Humber IV.
Do you know any manufacturer with S[blank]R?

Assaf

The 3.45" case was made by Royal Ordnance Factory, Birtley, Gateshead, and the primer by Edwin Showell and Sons, Stirchley, Birmingham.

Tom.