What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3Pr 2 Cwt Light Tank Case.

ron3350

I found this case today and thought it was a 3Pr Hotchkiss case but wondered why it was a Mk11 and not much later for a Hotchkiss.
It is a 47x350R 3 Pr 2 Cwt light tank round with case altered from Mk1 to II and an Australian primer. Primer was tight and original to the case.
I thought the 3Pr Hotchkiss was the case used in tanks so I am still learning. My best find for this year so far.

3Pr 2 Cwt.jpg

May I also ask who is the case maker WA as in D Ibbetsons book Vol 3 page 233 for the 3Pr 2 Cwt case.?

I found this case today and thought it was a 3Pr Hotchkiss case but wondered why it was a Mk11 and not much later for a Hotchkiss.
It is a 47x350R 3 Pr 2 Cwt light tank round with case altered from Mk1 to II and an Australian primer. Primer was tight and original to the case.
I thought the 3Pr Hotchkiss was the case used in tanks so I am still learning. My best find for this year so far.

View attachment 176424

Good find that's a very rare case, thanks for the photo.

Dave.

3Pr 2 Cwt cases.jpgA better photo of the two cases I found. Left one has an extra arrow and has the O not barred out. Is this lot 01 ?
Same primers and positions of headstampings. Sorry but the spare is taken already by a keen Aussie collector. Wish I could find more of these.

Ibbetson H:S.jpegI forgot the Ibbetson photo. A bit blurry but was very small in the book. Who is this case maker TimG ?

One of these mid interwar tank Vickers medium tank Mk1 seen here and the Mk2, these had 3 pounder guns.

Attachments

• 88DB66E3-AEBC-4C1F-B59F-8F24A9E1C8BA.jpg
    88DB66E3-AEBC-4C1F-B59F-8F24A9E1C8BA.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 25
@ron3350,

I don't think that drawing is particularly accurate. The inverted 'V' in the lozenge should be an 'A' I have no listing for 'W A' or anything similar. I think the 'W A' might be a corruption of 'W H' that appears on both of your cases and is most likely the annealing contractor. The 'H' denotes the head was formed by hammering.

TimG

P.S. There's a possibility that it could be a corrupted 'WEX' - Willey and Co of Exeter, although listed as cartridge case manufacturers, I don't think I've ever seen a case made by them.

Last edited: