What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian base fuze MD-4 ?

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
I can't find entries with MD-4 ?
45mm B-240 is described with MD-2 in the doc then with MD-4.
Never heard about this MD-4 fuze. Is it a mistake ?

45mm.jpg

It existed, but seems to have been pretty uncommon. Supposedly it was one of the fuzes used with the 53-B-240 (53-Б-240) you mentioned, and 53-BZR-240 (53-БЗР-240) 45 mm projectiles. For note I use full Russian GAU or GRAU index codes, not shortened versions.

I have books on 45 mm anti-tank/tank guns from 1940 (and onwards) that shows the same image you posted, but it's not mentioned in those books. So possibly an even older book?

The fuze mentioned in the book I have (excerpt below) is the MD-2 (МД-2).

p0025.png

For note the 53-BR-240 (53-БР-240) is the same as the 53-B-240 projectile, but fitted with an MD-5 (МД-5) fuze.

It's also mentioned as the fuze for the armour-piercing projectile/round of the 37 mm 'K' (Kurchevsky) recoilless anti-tank gun, some page scans from the manual below. The design (base area) looks different to the MD-2.

649635.jpg649668.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

In many western docs, MD4 is presented as very similar with MD1, 2, 3. Being earlier models of MD and very similar.
I have no russian docs about it (yet)

Example from "Artillery fuze identification manual - Section I - Communist bloc ammunition" (Gerhard Aevermann)
Image13.jpg

Cheers,

S.