Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 500 Posts

A buy of the century

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,584 Times in 724 Posts
    food for thoughts ....when she's serving her decade in prison
    Looking for / Suche noch:
    -8,8cm Pzgr.40.
    -8,8cm D (drahtsperre)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pzgr40 For This Useful Post:

sksvlad (9th May 2022)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 551 Posts
    IMHO these should not be in civilian hands. Military rifles for the military unless vintage.
    Author of 'British Rifle Grenades of the Great War', 'Mills Grenade Development 1915-1918' and 'Private Nurse Goes To War'

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millsman For This Useful Post:

adammack (26th May 2022), sksvlad (9th May 2022)

Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 Times in 629 Posts
    I bet the Ukranians have the same opinion.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:

HAZORD (10th May 2022), M8owner (9th May 2022), sksvlad (9th May 2022), Spaceinvader (10th May 2022), Taber10 (27th May 2022), wichitaslumlord (18th May 2022)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,584 Times in 724 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millsman View Post
    IMHO these should not be in civilian hands. Military rifles for the military unless vintage.
    Vintage weapons -a MG42 for instance- are less lethal?
    Looking for / Suche noch:
    -8,8cm Pzgr.40.
    -8,8cm D (drahtsperre)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pzgr40 For This Useful Post:

Spaceinvader (10th May 2022)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pzgr40 View Post
    Vintage weapons -a MG42 for instance- are less lethal?
    Most countries ban civilians from having fully auto weapons, so that's not normally an issue, even in the US. It's clear from the many multiple shootings in the US AR15s and their various derivatives are the weapon of choice if you want to shoot up your local school, cinema, church etc etc. Putting a semi auto military weapon in the hands of any citizen who wants one is asking for trouble. And tragic. I love the US but can never understand their relationship with guns (and I'm an ex rifle and pistol shooter).
    Author of 'British Rifle Grenades of the Great War', 'Mills Grenade Development 1915-1918' and 'Private Nurse Goes To War'

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Millsman For This Useful Post:

adammack (26th May 2022)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 500 Posts
    As far as I know, in the USA, only 2 states, New York and New Jersey, have a total ban on civilian ownership of fully automatic weapons. Correct me if I am wrong. On a personal level, I am much more afraid of a smooth bore 12 gauge pump.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sksvlad For This Useful Post:

Spaceinvader (10th May 2022)

Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 Times in 629 Posts
    Actually(factually) handguns are the weapon of choice, by a wide margin. At least per FBI stats. Full auto weapons are much more difficult(and expensive) to obtain legally but are gettable if one is so inclined. I'm more of a bolt action kinda guy, but ARs are at hand. Just in case a boogie man shows up.
    Last edited by Slick; 9th May 2022 at 08:05 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:

sksvlad (9th May 2022), Spaceinvader (10th May 2022)

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Full auto weapons may be owned in the majority of States, but there are Federal restrictions on top of any that the State may impose. They must be legal weapons registered for civilian ownership prior to 1986. This limits the pool, and as demand goes up, so does the cost - in many cases well into the tens of thousands. If you want a weapon you need to find one for sale, and arrange a transfer through a dealer licensed to transfer full auto weapons, or destructive devices (DD). You pay for the weapon, the dealer takes possession and submits your request for a permit to the ATF, with a $200 transfer fee (tax stamp). Once it is processed and approved by ATF the dealer receives the paperwork and you can take possession of the weapon. ATF is limited like all Federal agencies by personnel and budget, so it is not a fast process. My last transfer took 11 months. All of this drives legal full auto out of the hands of most private citizens.

I'm not sure that there is any way to understand or explain the US relationship with firearms, but there is no denying that it exists. It certainly has its ugly side, but it is so deeply ingrained in our society that the vast majority of our country are willing to accept the large number but tiny percentage (we are a very large country) of problems that occur. Owning a firearm in my region is kind of like owning a car-jack. Everyone has one, don't take it out and use it very often...
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

apfsds (12th May 2022), sksvlad (12th May 2022), Spaceinvader (27th May 2022), Taber10 (13th May 2022), wichitaslumlord (18th May 2022)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by US-Subs View Post

I'm not sure that there is any way to understand or explain the US relationship with firearms, but there is no denying that it exists. It certainly has its ugly side, but it is so deeply ingrained in our society that the vast majority of our country are willing to accept the large number but tiny percentage (we are a very large country) of problems that occur. Owning a firearm in my region is kind of like owning a car-jack. Everyone has one, don't take it out and use it very often...
    Maybe it's time to make everyone who has an AR15 type rifle join an official State armed militia, spend every weekend in the military and 2 weeklong camps a year (salary paid by State), or rewrite the 2nd amendment?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Millsman For This Useful Post:

adammack (26th May 2022)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast