What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A buy of the century

"No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner." That is the third Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. Try telling me the UK had nothing to do with that.

While conflicts raged across the lands you colonized, I do believe we are the only ones who won and separated from you by force of arms. We should be unique.

I have done quite a bit of reading on our history recently, and conflict with Native Americans actually did happen quite frequently as we moved west. Many of them were warrior cultures constantly seeking battle (there is also the not small issue of we were invading their lands) , so that certainly has contributed to our gun culture also.

Last edited:
Well, everyone is entitled to their view. That's what we fought two world wars for.

"IMHO these should not be in civilian hands. Military rifles for the military unless vintage"

Thanks for your irrelevant and unwanted opinion. And FYI...we ARE the militia! We used military-style weapons a bit ago to end an oppressive government...you might know something about that. And we have the 2nd Amendment to hopefully prevent that possibility in the future. We tend to be a bit more self-reliant here instead of waiting for the government to take care of us.
How's that working out for you?
And FWIW, semi-autos ARE NOT military weapons.

Respect for an opinion given on a forum....tolerance of that opinion. ..... we all have the right to express our take on any situation. Just my opinion

"IMHO these should not be in civilian hands. Military rifles for the military unless vintage"

Thanks for your irrelevant and unwanted opinion. And FYI...we ARE the militia! We used military-style weapons a bit ago to end an oppressive government...you might know something about that. And we have the 2nd Amendment to hopefully prevent that possibility in the future. We tend to be a bit more self-reliant here instead of waiting for the government to take care of us.
How's that working out for you?
And FWIW, semi-autos ARE NOT military weapons.

Well we are pretty safe over here. I've got more chance of being hit by a meteorite than being shot in a shopping mall, a church or a school. How does that work for you?

As an aside I do actually love the USA. Have been there many times but feel mystified by the self destruction you have built into your society.

"And FWIW, semi -autos ARE NOT military weapons" - So the M1 Garand and the M14 were just for kids?

While conflicts raged across the lands you colonized, I do believe we are the only ones who won and separated from you by force of arms. We should be unique.

Can you supply me with examples of that? Actually the colonial rebels didn't beat George III he just decided that he could not afford a conflict on a land bigger than home with 3,500 mile supply lines. So he went home. No surrender no great defeat.

Very similar to the withdrawal of the USA from Afghanistan. Of course, the Taliban said they won as well - didn't they?

You seem unaware that the war ended due to the surrender of General Cornwallis and his army at Yorktown, VA. I am going to guess they do not teach that in English schools. Of course, the French fleet made that possible.

The US lost the war in Afghanistan. Any student of history knew we had no chance of victory there. However, we had no real choice after 9/11. The country demanded blood. Very few politicians stood against it.

Last edited:
And then there was the War of 1812. These cannonballs (guessed at being 32 pounders) were found on the banks of the Mississippi River in New Orleans. A local historian surmised they were from that era vs US Civil War due to their degradation. One will never know for sure, but I'm going with that.

cannonballs (2).jpg

For many Europeans, 1812 has a meaning of Napoleon's military operation in Russia, far from New Orleans.

You seem unaware that the war ended due to the surrender of General Cornwallis and his army at Yorktown, VA. I am going to guess they do not teach that in English schools. Of course, the French fleet made that possible.

Well, I'll agree with that, but it was hardly a battle. More a siege where the Brits were out numbered 4 to 1. There could only be one result. As you say the French probably tipped the scales in the final decision.