What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shell case filling of 2 pounder pom pom

pzgr40

Premium Member
Who can help me on what type and shape the powder in a 2 pounder 40×158mmR pom pom shellcase with a HE shell is?
A good description, but preferably a drawing will do.
Thanks in advance,
DJH

This may be the diagram.

Attachments

• F6BC5C2C-968D-4C45-B65A-38DC51D97B04.jpeg
    F6BC5C2C-968D-4C45-B65A-38DC51D97B04.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 46
Thanks, but I mean the shellcase. By now I have found out it is HSCT .134-.055 inch dia cordite powder. What does HSCT stand for , and was the bundle of sticks tied together with string(s)?

If you wish to make a sectioned round I can take a photo of mine tomorrow. I found a diagram of a sub-cal powder charge for you too. Will send to you.

I've allready sectioned it, I am in the process of finishing the powderchage. But I am really looking forward to see yours. :)

Charge, Q.F. 2 Pr, Mk I & III Guns, 3 oz 124 gr, Cordite, Size 7½. Mk III. Jul 1917, §18797. Approved Oct 1915. This Mk III charge was 3 oz 124 gr cordite, size 7½, it consisted of a cylindrical core of 4.5 inch cordite sticks tied in the centre with silk sewing, with an outer ring of 5.0 inch cordite sticks tied in two places with silk sewing. A recess was formed in the base of the charge to fit over the plain portion of the percussion primer. For L.S., cotton sewing was used as an alternative for tying the charge.

Cordite H.S.C.T. is similar to Cordite S.C. (solventless cordite) but has a higher N.G. content and lower carbamite content.

Thus H.S.C.T. = Higher (N.G. content), Solventless Cordite, Tubular.

TimG

Hi Pzrg40,
I have this picture of a sea recovered 2pr showing the cordite and how it was tied up.
Best regards Weasel.

anti air 7 big 1.jpg

2Pr Vickers a.jpeg2Pr Vickers b.jpg2Pr Vickers c.jpg2Pr Tank Sectioned.jpgHere is my 2Pr Vickers and 2Pr Tank sectioned rounds that I got over 40 years ago with sectioned flares, mine, Jap mortar, 2"mortar and 6Pr 7cwt. From some museum/display.
The 2Pr has a wooden piece and a white straw? and is screwed to the case with a bolt, same as the projectile. All well done and looks factory made.
The plastic propellant is 2.5mm diameter and solid. Lead or tin foil folded into the top part. Australian marked ME 8/45 on projectile.