What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown 20mm projectile

earni74

Premium Member
I borrowed this from a friend i visited to get this projectile identified,hopefully, it was tight in a 20x102 vulcan case, the fuze is threaded internally but no internals, as you can see there are two crimping grooves,there is a hole that goes all the way through. about 10mm in diameter, at the base is a cavity that could take a push in tracer
Ther are 6 slots on the projectile and there are no markings at all anywhere, comments pleaseIMG-20220516-WA0020.jpgIMG-20220516-WA0019.jpgIMG-20220516-WA0018.jpgIMG-20220516-WA0017.jpg

hello
i see "similars" cut for reduced range projectiles but on these the cuts are in "oblique" (penched)

but your fuze look real (internal threads for the mechanism)

Hi ammogun, reduced range i agree, it's which case does it belong to that escapes me
thanks

hello
i see "similars" cut for reduced range projectiles but on these the cuts are in "oblique" (penched)

I'd say, it's a kind of a drill projectile?
Longitudinal grooves look similar to those present on drill rifle rounds, and the hole down the body prevents the projectile from being accidentally fired.

hello
your projectile is strange
three crimping grooves ?
the fuze look real due to internal thead (not dummy fuze)
the hole in rear can be used for self destruct by the tracer
but these "grooves" on the projectile ?

ammogun, only 2 crimping grooves, the bottom (lip) is very thin and could cut into the case if crimped

Mick
Looks like a short range proj, please see attached pic of a different one I have, this has a steel sleeve in side the plastic coating. cheers wombleDSC_0773.jpg

Hi Mike, that one is similar, this one i have has a sintered iron D band, with two crimping grooves, its certainly a short range round, the fuze has no I.D on it but threaded on the inside, so i reckon that is not correct, it came in a Vulcan 20x102mm with single crimp groove, now, i know the French did a 20mm Vulcan with a double crimp, but the neck on this case is not long enough for a double crimp, i have done a close-up of the projectile (which i should have done in the first place)

Attachments

• 20220615_174057.jpg
    20220615_174057.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 13
Mick
not sure about the twin groove unless it has been made for over pressure, all the 102 vulcan I have and the info only shows 1 groove, as mentioned the length of the case on the neck is not long enough for two, I thought it might be for the vulcan case type size 110mm which is the bigger brother mark 5 US Navy but this again has only a single crimping groove. will have a good look though my info and if I find out any more will let you know. cheers womble/mike

could always ask jedi Steve in a couple of weeks

Mike, just waiting for photo from Bren's double crimped Vulcan he says i sold him some years back, i will post pics when i get them