What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUPS, Italian AP mine

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of an Italian AUPS anti personel mine. This Bakelite mine has two small metal parts only -the firing pin and the firing pin spring- , making it difficult to detect. The firing pin is held in upper position by three small retaining spokes (pict 02) which rest on top of a ring in the fuze housing. On top of the firing pin the firing pin spring is placed , and over the spring a plunger is placed. This assembly is kept dry by a rubber cap placed over the plunger, locked up at the base by the top cover of the mine body. A strong bakelite cap is screwed over the fuze assembly, rendering the mine safe until the cap is removed.
When stepped upon, the plunger is pressed down, tensioning the spring and applying pressure on the firing pin until the three plastic retaining spokes break, releasing the firing pin into the detonator below. This will explode the mine.
The mine is loaded with 115 grams Comp. B.
The mine weighs 300 grams
The mine is activated with a pressure of between 10 to 20 kg.
As the mine is made of thick bakelite, it has not only a blast effect, but at short ranges also a fragmentation effect. According to the manufacturer the mine is instantaniously lethal when stepped upon, and will make casualties in a 5 meter radius due to blast and fragmentation.
The mine is encountered in brown bakelite as well as green PVC (pict 05).

The mine can be used in several different ways;
- As a normal -burried- AP mine, as described above.
- As a stake mine. (pict 03) A set with a steel pole -pointed on one side and internal threaded on the other side to fit the external thread of the safety cap-, a steel fragmentation sleeve, and a pull fuze are used to change the mine into a stake mine. The mine body is screwed on the stake upside down, the sleeve is placed over the mine body, and the pull fuze is screwed in the hole of the base plug. A trip wire is attached tot he pull fuze.
- As a fragmentation mine (pict 04), using a ring adepter with a belt to tie the mine to a pole or three. A pull fuze with a trip wire is screwed in the hole of the base plug.
- As an anti diver mine, with a hydrostatic fuze. I have no further info on this type of mine.

The mine is encountered in the northern part of Mozambique

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - AUPS AP mijn.jpg
    01 - AUPS AP mijn.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 02 - slagpinmechanisme AUPS mijn.jpg
    02 - slagpinmechanisme AUPS mijn.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 03 - AUPS stokmijn + stalen splintermantel.jpg
    03 - AUPS stokmijn + stalen splintermantel.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 34