What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dismantling 3” Stokes Mortar

peregrinvs

Have acquired this incomplete 3” Stokes mortar which I’m intending to restore and complete with other parts I have. Could anyone who has successfully unscrewed the bottom cap and cartridge tube on a rusted and seized example of one of these (or done something similar) please explain how they did it? I have tried before on another Stokes and ended up snapping off the cartridge tube. Thanks.
CDB56383-19E7-4029-924F-5185024E250C.jpg0540EA02-0E73-43F2-9432-3795C5EB4EB9.jpgE046E702-47FB-4EE5-A91B-442EEBE44FB5.jpg

Good old heat but not so the item is red and plenty of penetrating oil. grip in vice with wood or leather protecting the parts, twist both ways.

Thanks. As a preliminary I’m going to remove as much external rust as I can and then try and soak some Evaporust or similar into the threads to soften the rust on them.

You would be better using some good penetrating oil after the Evaporust.

After you get it cleaned, you can put the penetrating oil on the outside and put about 3/8 inch inside, to soak out into the threads from the inside. The ones I have are right-hand thread.