What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oddball American 1943 75mm M61 - never seen anything like it

jeff w

Here is a real oddball (currently up for auction). Marked 75mm M61 Bethlehem Steel 1943 on the bottom. The rest of the projectile looks completely normal.
No way you are going to screw an M66A1 BDF in that. Seller says it is threaded.
Anybody ever seen anything like it?
Must have been part of a special batch for experimentation I guess. Or a mistake.

B.S. 3AB 1943 Bethlehem Steel GB.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like just a ordinary M66A1 fuze hole to me. Why do you think it would fit?

It also could be just a M61 that used a steel plug with tracer, instead of the M66 fuze.

Last edited:
It does have traces of OD paint, which means HE filling and I agree the fuze hole looks rather small for an M66 fuze.
Besides, the unfilled M61s I've seen also have the wide hole and a wide plug to match.

6631287.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a good comparison photo next to a standard M61. I would bet that the buyer did not notice it was an abnormal experimental projectile.
What do you think of this theory -
The Germans reduced the cavity on their 88 projectiles to get better penetration results. When Ordnance noticed this, they might have thought the Germans were on to something and did a little experimenting...
I wonder if an M58 BDF from the 37mm M63 would screw in.

attachment-3.jpg

Last edited:
Theory #2.
Because of the bottleneck in M66/M66A1 fuze production, maybe Ordnance experimented with using a different base fuze - one already in production and proven - maybe the M58 or something similar?