What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KINETON STATION OPEN DAY CELEBRATING 100yrs OF THE AMMUNITION TRADE

TimG

Premium Member
KINETON STATION OPEN DAY CELEBRATING 100yrs OF THE AMMUNITION TRADE

Kineton Station would like to invite you all to our Station Open Day.

Kineton Station is celebrating 100 years of Ammunition Technical Training in the British Army on Saturday 9[SUP]th[/SUP] July 2022 at Kineton Station, Marlborough Barracks, Temple Herdewyke, Southam, CV47 2UL. Gates open at midday.

This event is Free and all are welcome. There will be lots of food and drink stalls available, a Live Band performing from 5.00pm, Parachute Display from the RLC Silver Stars, Military aviation flypast, Fun activities for the kids, Military Display Stands and more.

NB: There is no requirement to notify anybody of your arrival; entrance will be at the front gate off the B4100, AKA the A41 to many members.

(One would hope there would be ordnance on display.)

TimG

View attachment AT100[1275].pdf

It is around 20 miles South of Coventry by road.

I wasn't sure where the location was without looking it up, so hopefully others find this post useful.

Falcon, fly there (with a camera). With the present petrol prices, it can be only 1000 pounds round trip :tinysmile_shy_t:

Tim: Do you mean no requirement to notify of arrival in advance? Is there a requirement to provide any photo ID at the gate?

There was a similar event advertised at RAF Northolt in West London a few years back. In that case, the public had to book tickets and provide copies of ID in advance. That may also have been open to UK passport holders only.

I didn't actually attend, but did see it advertised.

Last edited:
@Falcon,

That is the information as promulgated by those involved. As I read it, all are welcome, you just turn up (no booking etc.).

TimG

I spent a very pleasant afternoon at this open day, lots to see and do for all the family.
More to the point, I was able to photograph a number of items in the Tech stores/Museum, see selected pics herewith.
Alan1DSCN0714[1].jpgDSCN0717[1].jpgDSCN0717[1].jpgDSCN0723[1].jpgDSCN0768[1].jpgDSCN0768[1].jpgDSCN0748[1].jpgDSCN0748[1].jpgDSCN0744[1].jpgDSCN0741[1].jpg

Unfortunately I was unable to attend due to a positive COVID test but I spent nearly 8 years at Kineton (as an Ammunition Technician) and thoroughly enjoyed most of it. The Army School of Ammunition (as it was 30 odd years ago) had a brilliant museum/display room.

I was on an ammunition familiarization course at Kineton about 1983/4 , dated fairly accurately as all the Argentine ammn from the Falklands had just been shipped to the UK. Lots and lots of 7.62 NATO ball in wooden crates etc. This was used up for training in the Reserves etc.
The old Tech store/museum was glorious, with stuff all over the place etc. The current facility is much more organised
Alan1

I was interested in the modern developments and I guess it is unsurprising that many anti-armour weapons, Russians included, are fitted with tandem warheads. It cannot have been cheap to produce these instructional models.

P1090316.jpgP1090317.jpgP1090318.jpgP1090319.jpgP1090320.jpgP1090321.jpgP1090322.jpgP1090323.jpg

Last edited: