What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British '07 SMLE Bayonet markings....

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_7966.jpgIMG_7967.jpgIMG_7968.jpgIMG_7969.jpgIMG_7970.jpg
Good morning,

I recently bought this nice clean SMLE bayonet. It's a slight detraction from my main sphere of collecting (First war ordnance) but something I've wanted to own for some time.
My query is could anyone tell me if the '0 17' is the issue / manufacture date? I'm assuming it is, but what has thrown me is on the reverse of the ricasso is stamped '24' along with broad arrow, etc. It was suggested by the seller this might be a reissue date?
I guess I'm looking for the '0 17' (which I think may actually be '10 17') to be the issue date, otherwise it falls outside the era of the collection.

Any help would be much appreciated. What I know regarding bayonets would cover half a shrapnel ball.....
Cheers!

Many thanks to you both, appreciated. Interestingly, the pommel is stamped to the 7th Btn Middlesex Regt. Its a lovely example.
Thanks again.