What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm m61 inert loaded

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
I know black painted 75mm M61 APC-T empty used as shot but what is the use of M61 APC inert loaded without tracer ?
Is it a classroom round, practice, drill ?
Regards

75MM M61 INERT.jpg
75MM M61.jpg

Sebastian, inert loaded rounds can be used for a variety of applications. The ones you mentioned of course, but also to simulate proper shape and weight to verify and calibrate ammunition handling systems (autoloaders, conveyors, loading machines, etc.). To have the correct center of gravity, yet be inert, to provide inert examples for new troops to practice handling, loading, etc.

Some of the time, components that are deficient, out of spec, etc. are used to assemble these training rounds, to minimize cost and make use of components that would normally be scrapped.

When I worked for Norris Industries around 1989, my partner and mentor told me that during Vietnam, the Government even bought all the scrap that failed inspection for some reason. We made 2.75 and 5 inch rocket motors, Sidewinder Motors, artillery projectiles and cases, Mortar rounds, and Bombs (Mk. 80 series). Basically rotational munition components.

I have quite a number of Black projos and rounds black with white lettering.

Over the past 20 years I've seen huge numbers of inert loaded 57mm Gun APCAPT and 106mm RR HEP-T rounds.

Last edited:
As an interesting side note, they used the same pattern of inert rounds for a variety of cartridges. The white markings on black paint, all components marked dummy/inert, hole in the case with a wooden block simulating propellant weight etc. I've got most of the 75mm series from the time, 37mm, and even down to a 20mm all of the same type. Only have a poor and old shelf picture in the office right now, I'll try and shoot something better this weekend.

DSC_8644.jpg

When performing ballistic tests and determining shipping weights, the projectile you are using needs to be the exact same weight as the service projectile.
Obviously it is better not to use explosive ammo for testing if it can be avoided. But if you try to use an M61 with a plug instead of a fuze and with no Explosive-D inside, the projectile will be about 1/2 pound lighter than the standard M61 w/BDF projectile.
So the inert loading brings the weight back up to standard and your testing/calculations are valid. All the ballistic/gunnery data Ordnance published, and all gunsight reticles were based on M61 w/BDF characteristics.

Can you tell me the year/manufacturer code/model (M61 or M61A1) code on the the base or rotating band? I can try to determine if these inert loaded projectiles were produced by common manufacturers who made service rounds, or if they were produced by specialty manufacturers.

Last edited:
When performing ballistic tests and determining shipping weights, the projectile you are using needs to be the exact same weight as the service projectile.
Obviously it is better not to use explosive ammo for testing if it can be avoided. But if you try to use an M61 with a plug instead of a fuze and with no Explosive-D inside, the projectile will be about 1/2 pound lighter than the standard M61 w/BDF projectile.
So the inert loading brings the weight back up to standard and your testing/calculations are valid. All the ballistic/gunnery data Ordnance published, and all gunsight reticles were based on M61 w/BDF characteristics.

Can you tell me the year/manufacturer code/model (M61 or M61A1) code on the the base or rotating band? I can try to determine if these inert loaded projectiles were produced by common manufacturers who made service rounds, or if they were produced by specialty manufacturers.

pictures from internet, nothing more

61.jpg

Here is a good example of what Hazord mentioned. These are inert loaded 75mm M48 shells used for testing inside a B-25 bomber.
B25 Mitchell.jpg

Does anyone have an "Inert Loaded" marked M61 or M61A1 projectile handy that they can post the year/manufacturer's alpha code/model (M61 or M61A1) from? Now I am curious as to who made them.

Thanks for posting the great pictures. That is a really outstanding example. I'd say because it has olive drab paint underneath the black, it left Pittsburgh Equitable Meters factory destined to be part of a service round, but was intercepted and then repainted and marked for use in tests. PEM did have relatively small contracts (under $2 million) for their projectiles, not sure if Ordnance could have used all of their production for tests. But I'd be willing to bet that any other "Inert Loaded" M61 that turns up is from PEM as well.