What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F-S Knives

SG500

Premium Member
I've collected sharp ordnance (APFSDS) for years, but recently got diverted slightly.

The father of one of my friends was a commando in the war and his Fairbairn Sykes commando knife was hanging up in their house. Ever since the age of 10 I've wanted one and finally got my first FS 45 years later. The trouble is they get addictive and keep multiplying so now a modest collection is developing!

Dave.

Group shot
IMG_1374.jpg

First pattern - top to bottom 2 standard first pattern, early version (poor condition) with more curved guard.
IMG_1375.jpg

Second pattern - top to bottom, B2 black, ringed version, B2, Wilkinson Sword version
IMG_1376.jpg

Third pattern - top to bottom, wartime version re issued, post war version
IMG_1377.jpg

Last edited:
Ever since the age of 10 I've wanted one and finally got my first FS 45 years later. The trouble is they get addictive and keep multiplying so now a modest collection is developing!

Dave.
I understand. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
_DSC1144_WEB.jpg

I made reference to the early version of the first pattern at the start of this thread.
Being new to collecting FS one of the go to web sites I frequent is run by Roy Shadbolt, an expert in such things.
He has an excellent article about the early knives as follows
https://www.fsknife.com/the-earliest-first-patterns

The advice with FS knives is DON'T take them to pieces just leave them as they are so..........as the knife I had was very rough and having collected inert munitions for years (that you just have to take to bits).......well, I carefully took it to pieces.

The result was interesting. Nice clear "62" stamped on the knife, guard and handle, which ties in well with what Roy writes about.

Complete
Early.jpg

In pieces
IMG_1267.jpg

"62" stamping

62 guard.jpg62 handle.jpg62 knife.jpg

Remains of Wilkinson Sword logo
IMG_1268.jpg

very nice,one came up for sale in an auction here in nz last year,it went for $8000NZD,i wish i had got it
would love to have one someday

very nice,one came up for sale in an auction here in nz last year,it went for $8000NZD,i wish i had got it
would love to have one someday
You need to have one. :tinysmile_shy_t:
I have just been offered the Mk.I so I am seriously considering to add it to my collection.

A recent addition.

Circa 1942 J Clarke & Son Second Pattern F-S Fighting Knife.

Dave.

IMG_4042.jpgScreen+Shot+2022-06-21+at+1.52.27+PM (1).jpgIMG_4045.jpgIMG_4056.jpg

What a lovely miniature. What is the story behind it, can it be bought somewhere?

Thanks, no I don't have any history on it, I found it by trawling google. The come up now and again and this one was the right price.

Here's an example, the person who runs the web site seems to do loads of miniature items, mine was much cheaper than this you've just got to hunt around for them.

Dave.

https://www.waynedriskillminiatures...cale-sykes-fairbairn-british-commando-dagger/

I picked this up recently. The alloy hilt variation.

According to Ron Flook in his book "The Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife and Other Commando Knives" page 139 to 140 not much is known about these. Not known if they are WW2 or post war, the hilt is cast from alloy with a ringed finish, the guard is integral with the hilt and has a fillet on the underside in a similar manner to that found on the USMC Stiletto.

IMG_4838.jpgIMG_4842.jpgIMG_4843.jpg

Dave.

I was pleased to get this recently, the Masonic etch version of the FS, further details in Ron Flooks book pages 106-107.

Only very limited numbers made so quite scarce.

Dave.

IMG_1946.jpgMasonic etch.jpeg

Latest addition to the collection is a Tom Beasley display knife.

In Ron Flooks book, page 182 and 183 there is further information about these.

Produced in the early post war years 1946 to 1949 reportedly as window displays for the early post year sales drive for Wilkinson's.

To the on side the blade is etched "Commando fighting knife World War 1939-1945"

To the other side are 3 panels etched "Hand forged by Tom Beasley the famous swordsmith of Stalingrad sword fame"

The 3 panel etch shown below, is the one produced in 1946 to 1947, a two panel version being adopted later, dropping the reference to Stalingrad due to heightened tensions between the West and Russia.

Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_2027..jpg
    IMG_2027..jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2029..jpg
    IMG_2029..jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2029.jpg
    IMG_2029.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 17
I picked up this variation recently, the "Fat Man" or "Fat Boy". Described in detail in Ron Flooks book page 112.

Named this way because the hilt is ......fatter ......... than a regular FS.

Photo 2 shows the fatter grip compared to a B2 Second pattern FS.

Dave.

IMG_2229.jpgIMG_2230.jpgIMG_2231.jpg

Attachments

• 6270BF9B-8DDA-4566-9490-7F4B80CF1208.jpg
    6270BF9B-8DDA-4566-9490-7F4B80CF1208.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I picked up this very abused first pattern recently. Apparently found in a garden shed during house clearance work. I got it for a good price.
Looks like someone tried to lever something off with it. A good friend got to work with plenty of heat to soften the metal and make it straight again, fortunately it didn't snap! Then lots of careful cleaning with wire wool. I was keen to leave it as original as possible so didn't want to regrind the blade.
Happy with the result, its certainly not like new, but is a good honest knife.
Dave.

Before
Before..jpg

After
After.jpgIMG_3105..jpg

Last edited:
That is an amazing score! Your Metalsmith has extreme skills for sure. That tip looks incredible now.

Jason