What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

71mm LYRAN Illumination Mortar.

ron3350

I found information on this Bofors designed 71mm Lyran Illuminating mortar shell as used on AFV's and by Infantry and Navy.
Apparently the mortar can also fire HE and smoke shells too. Used from mid 1960's.
The fuze has a safe position and 1, 2 or 3 dots for different range settings . (info from the net).
What is missing from the fuze centre on this example? I could not find any photos of the shell to compare.

Lyran 71mm a.jpgLyran 71mm b.jpg

I found information on this Bofors designed 71mm Lyran Illuminating mortar shell as used on AFV's and by Infantry and Navy.
Apparently the mortar can also fire HE and smoke shells too. Used from mid 1960's.
The fuze has a safe position and 1, 2 or 3 dots for different range settings . (info from the net).
What is missing from the fuze centre on this example? I could not find any photos of the shell to compare.

View attachment 177141View attachment 177142
Hallo @ron3350,
there seems to be nothing missing from your fuze. The square hole in the center seems to be a keyhole for setting the fuzedelay. Switzerland also introduced this model and manufactured it in licence from Bofors. The interesting thing about this fuze is, that it uses the same system as the 150 year old belgian Bormann fuze with a horizontal powder train delay. Attached are 2 fotos from the nice swiss book "The Fuzes Of The Swiss Army"(in german)
Bellifortis.LYRAN-Bofors-Bormann Fuze.jpg7,1cm 74 LYRAN.jpg