What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Projectile?

Eggburt1969

I'm not really sure if this is a projectile? Unfortunately my technical reference library isn't very good with regards to older (pre-WWI and WWI) munitions, so does anyone have an idea what it is?

There are some fingers for scale, and it seems relatively small; 37-57 mm (1.5-2.25") sort of size.

8RUFNO5B21V8ATUC0YEE.jpg

Image from here.
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/sheerness/news/bomb-squad-called-to-beach-268923/

Seeing as there were various forts on Sheppey, plus there were forts, a firing (testing) and a demolition range (Grain and Yantlet), and the large now unused explosive factory near Cliffe not far from it on the Isle of Grain, the area has seen a lot of military and munitions history.

Looks a bit like a palliser shell with the driving band missing

Last edited:
Could be the nose section of a WW2 practice bomb, do you have a picture of the base.

Could be the nose section of a WW2 practice bomb, do you have a picture of the base.

No, no other pictures I'm sorry to say. The image posted seems to have been the only one that was on the news page.

I see what you meant though, as there would seem to be vents in the nose area of the object and the rear seems to be rather too short to be part of a driving band seat.

I've no idea why I thought it was a projectile, but you see so many 'little' 37 to 57 mm sized projectiles on the forum, you get a bit fixated on them!

Yes, looking at the sectional diagrams that I had of each bomb model (10 and 11.5 lb) helped greatly. And they are 3.0" (nominally 76 mm) in diameter after all, not 37-57 mm.

10 lb Practice Bomb (US DoD) - 1.jpg11.5 lb Practice Bomb (US DoD) - 1.jpg

It would seem the moveable striker head (nose tip) has been pushed-in, and the central plug has backed out, giving the rear a longer length than those seen in your link.

As such, the bomb has likely been used and functioned, the tail assembly being blown apart by the small composition explosive (CE, aka tetryl) charge in the central tube.

Last edited: