Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Many thanks Andy.
    Been swotting up on Copper, its properties, annealing, quenching etc, so although far from being an expert, I'll give it a shot.
    Cheers!

On the subject of Copper bands....anyone have any idea where I might find Copper flat bar 13mm wide and between 8-10mm thick? spent a few hours pouring over websites, metal stockists, Busbar stockists, scrap yards, etc, to no avail. Closest I've got to 13mm is 12.7 (1/2") but I need it slightly wider to fill the under cut in the shell groove and of course turning on lathe to correct profile/size.
    Only option I seem to have at the moment is to buy a bar at 15mm wide and get it machined down but cost is a hindrance here....£99 plus VAT for a bar 14" long.

I'm beginning to think Copper is the new Gold!
    Many thanks in advance chaps!
    Last edited by starshell; 30th June 2022 at 11:13 AM.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starshell View Post
    Many thanks Andy.
    Been swotting up on Copper, its properties, annealing, quenching etc, so although far from being an expert, I'll give it a shot.
    Cheers!

On the subject of Copper bands....anyone have any idea where I might find Copper flat bar 13mm wide and between 8-10mm thick? spent a few hours pouring over websites, metal stockists, Busbar stockists, scrap yards, etc, to no avail. Closest I've got to 13mm is 12.7 (1/2") but I need it slightly wider to fill the under cut in the shell groove and of course turning on lathe to correct profile/size.
    Only option I seem to have at the moment is to buy a bar at 15mm wide and get it machined down but cost is a hindrance here....£99 plus VAT for a bar 14" long.

I'm beginning to think Copper is the new Gold!
    Many thanks in advance chaps!
    I have a bit left over from doing my 18pdr its 25mm wide by 6.5mm thick and 35.5 long if interested give me a PM.
    Cheers
    Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andysarmoury; 2nd July 2022 at 04:35 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andysarmoury For This Useful Post:

starshell (3rd July 2022)

Thanks
    Starshell

City Electrical factors (CEF) sell lightning conductors they have 25mm x 6mm x 1m /upwards, worth enquiring if the do any thicker conductor sizes.

cheers womble

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    Starshell

City Electrical factors (CEF) sell lightning conductors they have 25mm x 6mm x 1m /upwards, worth enquiring if the do any thicker conductor sizes.

cheers womble
    Many thanks Womble, I'll give them a shout.
    Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12