What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.25Inch Navy Coast Gun Cases.

ron3350

I ask about the 5.25" Coast Gun and the cases. Do thay have mouth cut-outs for the alloy or plastic mouth disc?
I have only seen 2 cases without cut-outs and Mk11* from ICI S 1940 and 1943.
A friend says he has a RLB case from 1949. Why would this gun still need cases at this post war time assuming info is correct?
I do not have a photo of this headstamp yet and would appreciate any headstamp photos of 5.25",cases in any collections.

@ro3350

Ron,

Why do you think that these are specifically Coastal Artillery cases?

The 5.25" started life as a "Dual Purpose" ship borne weapon that the Royal Navy were using until the early 60s. It was also utilised as a land based Anti-Aircraft weapon and as you state, Coastal Artillery (operated by the Royal Artillery). The Royal Artillery Coastal Artillery were disbanded in about 1956. Apparently Gibraltar was supplied a number of 5.25" guns as late as 1953, which I would assume were UK surplus to requirements equipment.

An unusual aspect of the Royal Artillery Coastal Artillery is that they were equipped with Royal Navy guns and ammunition, thus they would be marked with an 'N'

TimG

there were at least two types, some with the 3 cut outs and some had a fixed plastic threaded ring in the top. MK2 GUN Mk3/1 RW23 case of 1949 had the plastic ring.