What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade Inflation

Millsman

Premium Member
Earlier this month at a Military fair I saw a Nice Mills No.5 with an equally nice No.36 (but not matching parts) for sale on a dealers stand. "How much are they?, I asked. "You won't pay it but, £350 each", was the response. We had a bit of a laugh about it.

Today in York I saw the Mills in the attached photo.

DSCN0522.jpg

Anyone else seeing these prices?

J C militaria is the market leader in prices, cannot afford to buy a mills what ever next.

J C militaria is the market leader in prices, cannot afford to buy a mills what ever next.

Agree JC Militaria are the highest prices but not to this level (but almost). I do hear that most people phone up JC and bid lower.

I wish British number 1 grenades were such good value.....but I guess there's not so many around.

Dave.

Yes i have noticed it, i think it was sally antiques that had a dug up relic mils for £350 as well. Ridiculous.

Battleflag militaria in Coulsdon has a couple of original mills - all original components - for £150 each.
Also has a rare VB launcher cup

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

when publishing books with details of variations of design,it is likely to generate/escalate collecting interest,the more collectors the higher the demand,,,market forces blah,,blah,,blah.......mills bombers website has probably sent many of us on the road to financial ruin...millsmans book has just brought the bailiffs to the door,,,,,LOL

yep should have never built that website it was the first nail in my collecting coffin ending, did have a good time in the late 1990s early 2000s collecting though.

yep should have never built that website it was the first nail in my collecting coffin ending, did have a good time in the late 1990s early 2000s collecting though.

I for one am eternally grateful that you did build it. Endless thanks Dave.

Yesterday I was told about a No. 3 Mk I that sold at auction for £1450.

World's gone mad.

There are those starting collecting who get starry eyed at some things/ most things and pay way over the odds thinking such items are rare, they are not rare as they made thousands if not millions of the normal common grenades etc and other stuff, its just that most have been bought up by collectors and they are sitting on them. Just look at the rows and rows of hard to get now deacts and other items that were at the shows, then the following year or years not one in sight, where did they all go, sitting at home in a cupboard or on display. Then the rarest holy grail of items that were impossible to find or get, suddenly turn up in their hundreds and flood the market at a fraction of the price because a bulk lot was found in a warehouse or from overseas military stores etc. The name of this game is to be patient and wait, as ever what every you always desire always comes up at a fraction of the price, the lower the price or bargain i enjoy more. Trouble is as with life when such bargains do come up you are always caught out at a bad financial time, sods law.

Last edited: