What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No35 Rifle Grenade

Edwardc

Hello All,

I have a nice deac/inert unfired (so not dug) No35 - i know they had a cut down .303 shell as the ignitor but i wonder if anyone has a photo of 'how cut down' - this is the only piece i am missing from mine, and would like to add a an inert one for completeness.

Is it literally a cut down normal .303 or is it a crimped grenade launching blank or something else?

Will post photos in a bit

thanks
Ed

A detonator was placed within a cut-down, drilled and pared .303 casing. The images show the (empty) casing attached to the alloy end plug, and the head of the casing minus primer.

Attachments

• No.35_1.jpg
    No.35_1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 32
  • No.35_2.jpg
    No.35_2.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 28
A detonator was placed within a cut-down, drilled and pared .303 casing. The images show the (empty) casing attached to the alloy end plug, and the head of the casing minus primer.

Okay cool, mine looks like this, do I already have the cut down 303 case then??
472225C0-FA60-4933-833B-7C4341F53A0D.jpeg

Attachments

• 673FB7D3-CD2A-46D8-A9C7-88B731A1999B.jpeg
    673FB7D3-CD2A-46D8-A9C7-88B731A1999B.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 20
What you show there is the later version transit plug, with tinplate tube to maintain the form of the paper-wrapped HE bursting charge cartridge.

What you show there is the later version transit plug, with tinplate tube to maintain the form of the paper-wrapped HE bursting charge cartridge.

Aah okay thank you, makes sense. So mine is in complete condition - albeit in ‘transit’ configuration

So mine is in complete condition - albeit in ‘transit’ configuration

Yes.

For what it's worth, from a 25 August 1917 supply report: "Approval has been given for the fixing of a tin tube to the closing plugs of Nos. 24 and 35 rifle grenades to prevent deformation from damp of the waxed paper cartridge containing the explosive."