What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polish Wz-23 versus Wz-33

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi. I recently picked up what I think is a Polish Wz-23 with a match head fuze (shown next to a Russian F1). I’m told it could also be a Wz-33. What is the difference between the Wz-23 and Wz-33? Thanks

Attachments

• 9E1076CD-EE81-4C82-9220-78011D53897E.jpg
    9E1076CD-EE81-4C82-9220-78011D53897E.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 24
I'm unsure which it is as they're definitely similar; it seems there is also a Wz-24 that is visually same - unsure if it is a separate model to the Wz-23 or the latter mislabelled... This article - https://www.wikiwand.com/pl/Granat_obronny_wz.33 - illustrates the differences between the Wz-24 (possibly Wz-23) and Wz-33 (via Google Translate):

The shell of the wz.33 grenade, unlike the shell of wz.24, had a threaded hole with a larger diameter, adapted for screwing in an aluminum sleeve (cover of the primer that stimulates the fuse). Its task was to tightly close the shell - protection against moisture and securing the explosive.

476px-Wz24wz33.jpg

Threaded holes: a) for the fuse [shell wz.1924], b) for the cover of the primer [shell wz.1933]. (MPWP / PM)

Awesome, thanks! This one has the large fuze well, so maybe the aluminium sleeve has been removed. It’s been teamed up with a match head fuze (same as used in a No16), which may have just been a fuze of convenient fit. Thanks again.