What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm Projectile Identification - Possible Squash Head Practice

ammocat

Ordnance approved
I have come across a 105mm projectile that I believe is a squash head practice but unlike other 105mm SH/Prac this one appears to have a base plate screwed into the center of the base of the projectile.

The projectile is 105mm in diameter, has a single driving band and four tracers. There is some red primer visible near the ogive and a small bit of blue paint. SX1104 is stamped into the base. Only the base is visible and I was unable to get a good look at the whole projectile or any photographs of anything other than the base. It is believed to be off British origin.

Was there a British 105mm SH/Prac that contained a spotting charge or similar in the base? Any help identifying this projectile is appreciated.

105mm_1 Base.jpg

Hmm, as far as I can tell most of the later British 105 mm tank high explosive squash-head (HESH) and squash head practice (SH PRAC) projectiles had a tracer assembly attached to the centre of the base of the fuze, which was itself screwed into the fuze well in the base of the projectile.

The L42 series HESH and L41 SH PRAC for the FV433 (L13 series barrel) 105 mm Abbot Self-Propelled Gun and L118 Light Gun (L19 series barrel), along with the L43 HESH and the L44 SH PRAC L5 Pack Howitzer (L10 series barrel) all seem to use the configuration seen in your image. The configuration being a central fuze or plug representing fuze (PRF), which is surrounded by four equality space tracers that is seen in the image

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. At least now I have some model numbers to make the search a little easier. Lots of info on the L118 Light Gun but hard to find specifics on the ammunition.

Canadian Howitzer 105mm SH/PRAC has a solid base with the four tracer and do not have a plug representing fuze.

Cheers,

Would anyone have a drawing of the Projectile 105mm FD Squash Head Practice L41 or L44? Google is not turning up anything on these projectiles.

Some of the stamped markings in the projectile are very faint so this may not be 100% accurate. The attached photo is a representation of the stamped markings that are readable. Does this help to make of a positive identification of the projectile in question?

105mm Stamped Markings.jpg

105 MM FD - 'Field' not 'How'
SX 1071 - Drawing number of the component (the number on sgdbdr's picture shows the drawing number of the complete article). Due to BATUS you may well have some British documents on the 105mm Practice HESH which will more than likely include the drawing numbers.
PAT 4/77 - Manufactured by ROF Patricroft April 1977.

TimG