What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crate for No 76 grenades and 3" S B gun projectiles.

Alan1

Premium Member
Here is an original crate for No 76 SIP grenades, filled 12/41, examined 4/43. The enamel plates often survive, but the wooden boxes are not at all common.
And here are two examples of the 3" S B (Smith Gun) projectiles, HE and HEAT Instructional. Both are sadly incomplete. This equipment was almost exclusively used by the Home Guard, although some were on limited issue for other defensive purposes.
I am gradually accumulating Home Guard ordnance items, but they are not easy to find, surprising since they were in use right across the country during the period of hostilities and often kept at home etc. If anyone can help with examples they have that might be for disposal, please let me know. PM in first instance.
Alan1.DSCN0772[1].jpg
OOps - pic of S B projs to follow, I managed to video rather than single shot them!

Further to this original post, I now show the 3" S B (Smith Gun) projectiles, and a pic of various Home Guard items. On the left is a wooden Molotov Cocktail, used no doubt to pelt "enemy" vehicles etc.
At centre are two original Molotov Cocktails as supplied to Home Guard units to be filled as required when German paratroops were expected in Schimwagens or the like. The label reads "Instructions. Rip off tabs retaining wooden striker. Draw striker across live end. A safety match box will serve instead of striker" And on the right is a practice No 74, missing, as depressingly usual, the hemispherical covers.

Alan1DSCN0773[1].jpgDSCN0774[1].jpg

Alan,

What is the background of the two Molotov Cocktails? We have two that came out of an Home Guard magazine, but have no further details.

TimG

The attached notes addressing the post-Dunkirk panic for "Molotoff" Cocktails might be of interest. An official pattern of Molotov is mentioned, although whether this means a custom-made bottle is not stated. The School of Military Engineering (Chatham) pattern deals primarily with an improved incendiary filling.

Weighted wooden throwing dummies are recommended for training, and the GHQ Home Forces letter mentions a War Office fuze being developed, which might tie in with a purpose-made official pattern bottle with fuze recesses. Other notes emphasise pint beer bottles and whiskey bottles as being the most suitable for improvised petrol bombs.

Tom.

Attachments

• DSC06272.jpg
    DSC06272.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC06271.jpg
    DSC06271.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC06274.jpg
    DSC06274.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 18
The brown zigzag bottles were said to be produced for the Home Guard Auxiliaries, whilst the local Home Guard used Beer or Tizer / Lemonade bottles.

Hi Tim,
Don't have a scoobies! Came with a number of other H G items and they were probably adopted a little after the immediate rush for something - anything - that could form some defence against German vehicles in the event of a successful crossing, probably replacing the beer bottles etc etc of the very early days. Fitting a reasonably pokey detonator to the side of the bottle ensured reliable breakage and ignition of the fuel contents.
That said, they are not at all common in my own experience, as with so much H G ordnance, surprising as they were kept locally, often indoors or in a garden shed. and one would have expected a better survival rate. If such exists, I have not seen it.
Survival of the original paper label and the black tarred cloth insulating tape was also a bonus!
Alan1