What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info on a possible Spitfire Round

RogerKP

round.jpg I have recently acquired this round - sold as a Spitfire 20mm HE. I know this wasn't made exclusively for the Spit , but I think it's an Hispano, possibly an Incendiary of some sort as it's green.

Headstamp is DAC ( Dominion Arsenal) 43 20mm
Fuze is LOT -47-ZZ415-59-42
with 253 IM /N0 ? underneath - bit hard to read
Projectile MK3 24 LMLST ? 27

Projectile has a solid base so I would think not a tracer. It 's not straight, being a bit wider at the top.

This is a new to me, I normally collect German aircraft ammo!

Thanks for your help

Roger

Attachments

• cannon round 2.jpg
    cannon round 2.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 64
  • cannon round.jpg
    cannon round.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 66
Members in other posts showed same shell with Mk3 markings, described as US Navy Oerlikon

Check the drive band width. Hispano is 5mm. Oerlikon is 4mm. The Oe case has a reduced rim as you would know.
If the projectiles are loose the Hispano base measures 19.5mm and the Oerlikon is only 18.8mm .

Check the drive band width. Hispano is 5mm. Oerlikon is 4mm. The Oe case has a reduced rim as you would know.
If the projectiles are loose the Hispano base measures 19.5mm and the Oerlikon is only 18.8mm .

On measuring the drive band and the base, I would agree that it seems to be an Oerlikon. Presume a US Navy issue as above?
And basically I've been sold a bummer?!!!!! So much for just wanting one British fighter round!

By the way, when I removed the projectile to measure it, I noticed the base is solid. Does this mean no tracer element?

end.jpg

Thanks for your help
Roger

It is not a bummer. You have a nice Oe projectile and a nice Canadian Hispano case. Same value as a proper Hispano??
Just find the correct case and projectile and you have 2 nice items.

In addition, the projectile ogive curvature and reduced diameter center body are visually characteristic Oerlikon.

And, yes Solid Base means no tracer. No place for the trace burning to exit.