What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze and projectile; What have I got ?

Gspragge

Premium Member
And is there enough of it left to be useful ?:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

I'm usually thinking WW1 but clearly this is not.
The collar is usually missing on these and there are
no marks on the projectile. It was a lamp of course,
but at least not an 18Pr lamp
:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Attachments

• SDC10084.jpg
    SDC10084.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 65
  • SDC10079.jpg
    SDC10079.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 62
  • SDC10078.jpg
    SDC10078.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 79
  • SDC10087.jpg
    SDC10087.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 51
Hello,
You have an US type 75mm Mk1. Typical crimp grooves (2) on base. In service at the beginning of ww2 as a substitute of M48.
Also in British service.
The fuze is an uncomplete French RYG design. This fuze was oficially in US service as "Fuze P.D. 24/31 RYG MKI" (you can see on the doc fuzes were made for UK by US).

The shell :
75MM MK1.jpg

Adapter MkIII :
75mm adapter US.jpg

French/US/British fuze :
ryg US.jpg

Last edited:
So my fuze if I fill in the hole in the end will at least look proper superficially - which is good news.
I hope that it is nickel plated that I can get off -
I think the guy I got it from had it with a casing some time ago, hopefully he still has it.
Will follow up with results.

I have never repainted a projectile before but I'm cocidering this one.
Where does one get the proper colour and how to apply it propperly ?

So US "olive drab" with yellow markings if you want a post mid-1942 shell or Yellow with black markings for an early version.
Only a picture of yellow version (Bocn) :

75mm mk1.jpg

Doc with yellow version :
75.jpg

I have never repainted a projectile before but I'm cocidering this one.
Where does one get the proper colour and how to apply it propperly ?

You definitely want to make it yellow as the MK I was no longer in production by the time the color switch was made to Olive drab (officially on October 12, 1942). The standard M48 shell which superseded it was approved for use in the 75mm gun way back in 1939 (although mass production didn't start until later). You have a magnificent example posted by MINENAZ16 to emulate (that must be M8owner Steves). Photos below are of a WW2 era (1940) production double crimp line US case for it. This one still has very faint ink stamps of "1897 1916 1917" on it as well as a very faint "normal" bottom stripe.

IMG_0812.jpg IMG_0813[18310].jpgink.jpg

Last edited:
These ww2 cases show up now and again here, though not likely with a double crimp as the ones I have seen seem to be made for 75mm practice shot.
Or at least that is the projectile one finds here.
We made these projectiles in ww1 but I don't know if we made them in early ww2 and I can't tell from my exmple
as it's been polished. The U.S. example is more yellow than would be a Canadian made one I suspect - but no example
to judge.

I would suspect that these were pretty much all gone by 1944, but likely a lot is not most of them were used in the ealier deasert campaigns , maybe that's where to find them.

Last edited:
After a soak in muratic acid I managed to spin it on a turntable and with rough emery get
the plating off - I'll prime it and then figure out a yellow to put on it.
Here it is primed and beside the ww1 example which is the one found most often up here
usually abused.
Both have the recessed base as discused in the next responce so are HE. .

Attachments

• SDC10095.jpg
    SDC10095.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 20
  • SDC10100.jpg
    SDC10100.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
This round seems to be quite rare in collection.
Never seen in France.
Sometimes we find in French ww2 battlefields this round filled Smoke FM/FS or WP with special chemical hexagonal adapter (so these came in France).
This should be a different round, the chemical vs the HE. Chemical has a smooth base (includes smokes). The HE had a recess milled into the base with a groove cut near the edge. A copper plate was fitted into the recess and a lead strip pressed into the groove to keep it in place. The copper plate is a quick giveaway for the HE, though sometimes the plate would be lost after firing or impact. You've no doubt seen the same thing with the French rounds, using a zinc plate I believe?
Most of the US made WWI 75mm never made it to the War, we started too late. The stocks that were quickly built up were obsolete by the end of WWI, and so were used for training at ranges all over the US. The shrapnel is especially common as the components are still intact after firing, and is the most commonly found projectile across the US, found routinely by civilian bomb squads.

Can anyone guide me to the proper colour of yellow to use to match this, perhaps a model paint ?
This site offers military matches ;
Army-Navy Aeronautical Bulletin (ANA) Paint Colors

[h=3]Authentic Military Paint Color Matches - MyPerfectColor[/h]https://www.myperfectcolor.com › Authentic-Military-P...

Army-Navy Aeronautical Bulletin (ANA) Paint Colors
The Army-Navy Aeronautical Bulletin (ANA) Paint Colors were used by the US Federal Government from 1943 through 1970 to standardize colors applied to aircraft manufactured by the American aircraft industry. The ANA standard was cancelled on April 16, 1970 when the colors were transferred to the Federal Standard 595A. Practically all military aircraft manufactured through 1960 were painted to the ANA standard.
To find your desired color, simply enter your search query in the box below: (example "ANA 514")

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 6.13.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 6.13.56 PM.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 9.52.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 9.52.49 AM.png
    111.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 9.51.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 9.51.00 AM.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 9.56.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 9.56.59 AM.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
If I were to order the light yellow here is the costing, it's a matter of picking the correct yellow how ever ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 10.03.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 10.03.32 AM.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 10.03.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 10.03.50 AM.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 3