Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 698 Posts

Napalm bomb on quickfire

Thanks
    I have never seen one of these.

Jason

Premium Member
    Thanks
    The pointed tail cone suggests it's an M116 series 750lb napalm fire bomb. Not many of those around in collections.

One of my great regrets in ordnance collecting was passing on one of these about 40 years ago. I was visiting a friend who had a contract in his salvage yard to crush, stack, and ship a bunch of these to California as aluminum scrap. Most were bright aluminum like the one at auction but a few were painted lusterless olive drab with red rings at the nose and tail. This was just post-Vietnam war and I assume that is where they were originally intended to be directed.

I was offered the opportunity to buy the one of my choice at scrap price but would have required some effort to strap it to the roof of the car and get it home 800 miles away. In hindsight, it would have been an epic drive and would have provided fuel for interesting stories, perhaps with police intervention, but I unfortunately chickened out. Wish I could do that one over again.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ordnance For This Useful Post:

apfsds (8th August 2022), Weasel (8th August 2022), wichitaslumlord (10th August 2022)

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,215 Posts
    I'm not near any documents right now, but if memory serves, the red band should have been for the CS fill - that would be especially nice to have saved...
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

1989rjb (10th August 2022), apfsds (9th August 2022)