What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval Mills Grenade Box, strange holes

BMG50

Premium Member
Just got my hands on a WW2 Mill grenade box 'for Naval use only' missing lid, partitions and 4 post separators. Looking inside where the grenades are store upright between where the the posts meant to be i noticed that there are three holes semi drilled either side of box inside (see picture) anyone know what these are for.

Where did all the lids go on these boxes, were they dumped or is there a batch of lids out there sitting in a warehouse.

Attachments

• 5AFE5339-03FE-44B3-AAD6-45DD0F5F4ACD.jpg
    5AFE5339-03FE-44B3-AAD6-45DD0F5F4ACD.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Didn't think of that, would be enough for 12 grenades. Would this box be original for army use then Naval use as i cant think of the navy using cup dischargers, unless they did.

Didn't think of that, would be enough for 12 grenades. Would this box be original for army use then Naval use as i cant think of the navy using cup dischargers, unless they did.

The Royal Marine Commandoes are Navy.

The G36 box had 12 recesses drilled to hold the plugs of 12 gas checks, as the attached photo and excerpt of drawing illustrate.

Attachments

• G36_2.jpg
    G36_2.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 52
  • G36_1.jpg
    G36_1.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 61
The G36 box had 12 recesses drilled to hold the plugs of 12 gas checks, as the attached photo and excerpt of drawing illustrate.

Thats interesting detailed drawings of the box. it seems there were extra half posts to hold in the plates, never would have know this.

Last edited:
Thats interesting detailed drawings of the box. it seems there were extra half posts to hold in the plates, never would have know this.

The packing pieces were standard on all boxes. I've got a 1940 box still with the original packing pieces (with gas check disc holes) and three Navy crates all with the same holes.

Just wondered where all the lids went to as there were a lot of Naval grenade boxes sold with no lids. Could do with one or make one.

I think I have the same box, just made a lid for it Its not perfect but will do for now.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1110544.jpg
    P1110544.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 46
  • P1110543.jpg
    P1110543.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 35
At the moment i have made out of pallet wood the two missing partitions boards, the 4 upright posts, and a missing foot. Just need to make the lid and add the middle rope not the ends.
What did you finish your lid off with, i was in two minds to leave the new saw cut wood as it is to show the missing bits or darken to match using dark brown paint then wipe off, then dirty to effect with original dirt cleaned from base of box and a slight rub over with charcoal to age. What did they originally use, looks like a creasote stain or new plain wood that got dirty and oily with age.

At the moment i have made out of pallet wood the two missing partitions boards, the 4 upright posts, and a missing foot. Just need to make the lid and add the middle rope not the ends.
What did you finish your lid off with, i was in two minds to leave the new saw cut wood as it is to show the missing bits or darken to match using dark brown paint then wipe off, then dirty to effect with original dirt cleaned from base of box and a slight rub over with charcoal to age. What did they originally use, looks like a creasote stain or new plain wood that got dirty and oily with age.[/QUOT

I used some old fence paint I had left over but going to re do it later as I have found an old floor board that fits the bill better.
Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
Found some service brown paint added some black and thinned, hard to tell from original, had to rust up the nails i used to blend in. How thick is the lid, any measurement details or pics would be good.

I used 5/8 thick board on mine, I have enclosed a drawing with measurements.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• mills box plans 1.jpg
    mills box plans 1.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 40
On the lid of these boxes especially for WW2 like the Naval use boxes would there be inside cleats on the bottom of the lid that stops the lid from slipping off. Was these boxes slightly modified from the WW1 boxes. Just need to finish a lid off, top stacking cleats no problem just wanted to clarify if there were cleats on the inside of the lid and location of spanner, or was that WW1 thing. Anyone know of a WW2 inner lid label i could get a copy of. What were the markings on the lid top for Naval use.

On the lid of these boxes especially for WW2 like the Naval use boxes would there be inside cleats on the bottom of the lid that stops the lid from slipping off. Was these boxes slightly modified from the WW1 boxes. Just need to finish a lid off, top stacking cleats no problem just wanted to clarify if there were cleats on the inside of the lid and location of spanner, or was that WW1 thing. Anyone know of a WW2 inner lid label i could get a copy of. What were the markings on the lid top for Naval use.

I don't think there were any cleats inside the lid, I've not seen any with them on,
Andy

Hi Snufkin just to let you know you have exceeded your storage space for messages.

Rather than create a new post but still on this topic, i noticed that these Naval mills box lids had a paper label shellacked over in place to the right of the lid, anyone know what the box label looked like in its original form and where you could get a replica. Plenty of WW1 stuff not much WW2.

Attachments

• CD7209BE-6101-4D6A-A5E2-794F9DB866B2.jpeg
    CD7209BE-6101-4D6A-A5E2-794F9DB866B2.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 36
Its not this label. Although its a New Zealand box.

Attachments

• EB2D6831-1685-43DE-8FE7-FE00F2334A23.jpg
    EB2D6831-1685-43DE-8FE7-FE00F2334A23.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 18
Here's a photo of the label in my 1940 Mills crate. Not naval but I doubt that matters.

Box Label.jpg