What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Pdr case

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
I just picked this nice 3 pdr case up this morning could anybody tell me what the markings mean and what sort of date it could be please.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 3 Pdr case.jpg
    3 Pdr case.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 3 Pdr base.jpg
    3 Pdr base.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
This looks like 2 arrow heads touching which means the case was rejected. Possibly never loaded or stamped with the case mark.
If a 3Pr Hotchkiss case the small primer hole is unusual without the groove around it. Just my thoughts. I await other comments.

This looks like 2 arrow heads touching which means the case was rejected. Possibly never loaded or stamped with the case mark.
If a 3Pr Hotchkiss case the small primer hole is unusual without the groove around it. Just my thoughts. I await other comments.

Thanks Mate, I can see that now you have pointed it out always thought it was a star mark,
Cheers
Andy

I thought the double arrow marks meant the item had been taken out of service. I'm sure somewhere here there are posts on the marking. the groove or lack of could be Hotchkiss or Nordenfelt having different designs, dont have enough examples here to check.

I thought the double arrow marks meant the item had been taken out of service. I'm sure somewhere here there are posts on the marking. the groove or lack of could be Hotchkiss or Nordenfelt having different designs, dont have enough examples here to check.

Thanks Clive that's what I thought too as I have the same stamp on my Martini rifle Butt, I keep looking but can't find anything yet.
Cheers
Andy

Head-to-head broad arrow symbol (stamp number GAC8, "Condemned Stamp") was to indicate unserviceable cases and repaired cases rejected at Scleroscope test.

6 radial star symbol, later replaced by 8-radial star with or without circle - as shown in the OP - (stamp number GAC12, "Rejection Stamp") was to indicate cases rejected at proof.

Head-to-head broad arrow symbol (stamp number GAC8, "Condemned Stamp") was to indicate unserviceable cases and repaired cases rejected at Scleroscope test.

6 radial star symbol, later replaced by 8-radial star with or without circle - as shown in the OP - (stamp number GAC12, "Rejection Stamp") was to indicate cases rejected at proof.

Many thanks for that Snufkin, its much appreciated.
Cheers
Andy