What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring (I Hope) the 75 Mk1 projectile ~

Gspragge

Premium Member
I'm trying an off the shelf yellow, tomorrow when it's dry enough I'll go over it
with superfine steel wool. I could loose my mind trying to match the proper
yellow (if I haven't already previously) so I'm hoping to get lucky ~
The stenciling will be a Big problem, I tried a craft store but that was hopeless - I'm not stenciling F'n Bunnies on it no matter what.
Does any one who has done this before any suggestions ?

Attachments

• SDC10162.jpg
    SDC10162.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 6.13.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 6.13.56 PM.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 60
  • SDC10078.jpg
    SDC10078.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Looking good!
Apply a coat of matt estapol to knock off the gloss - I use to apply LetterSet decades ago as they had an extensive range of stencils - but not sure if they are still around.

If you look at my gallery - there a photo of 18 /25 pdrs that I acquired back in the 1980s - none by me from memory as I did smaller calibre ones and some of those 18pdrs were clearly wrong as the gentleman who had them wanted to represent different variations in his museum.

Last edited:
Caterpillar Yellow - as in the machine company - is the closest off the shelf match in North America.

Last edited:
Thanks to all, I'll see if I can find the Caterpiller colour, meanwhile I tried again with this yellow which is not so much orange.

Attachments

• SDC10169.jpg
    SDC10169.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 22
  • SDC10170.jpg
    SDC10170.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 27
  • SDC10171.jpg
    SDC10171.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 40
  • SDC10168.jpg
    SDC10168.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 31
Here is my third attempt, I'm letting it harden properly before I make it a bit less shiny. Cat yellow as suggested ~
My next question is how high/tall are the original letters on the projectile ?
inside lighting will likely throw the actual colour off a bit.

Attachments

• SDC10179.jpg
    SDC10179.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 36
:tinysmile_cry_t4:Both amazing and out of stock

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 9.00.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 9.00.23 PM.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I don't understand exactly, what are they selling ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 9.11.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 9.11.33 PM.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 33
I tried caterpillar yellow and chose school bus yellow over the caterpillar.

If this keeps up I'll have a terrific collection of spray yellows !
Of course every one is out of stock, but hardware stores are all buggered up on
lots of things.
I didn't think I had anything to compare with, but I did sort of ~
It's a 1915 MKl 1.7Pr projectile. The yellow is very aged and dark, but I rubbed the surface off in a small area
and it shows the original colour more or less. To some extent it's amatter of wether you want the projectile
to look older and darkened or not I supose. Well onto the next yellow if I can find any.

Attachments

• SDC10183.jpg
    SDC10183.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I'm trying an off the shelf yellow, tomorrow when it's dry enough I'll go over it
with superfine steel wool. I could loose my mind trying to match the proper
yellow (if I haven't already previously) so I'm hoping to get lucky ~
The stenciling will be a Big problem, I tried a craft store but that was hopeless - I'm not stenciling F'n Bunnies on it no matter what.
Does any one who has done this before any suggestions ?

Hey, how ever much I appreciate your restoration skills, your work looks great, I do have a few questions.
Is the round minus the drivingband the one you are restoring? And iff yes, why not opt for a replacement drivingband only, as there is something like 97% of original paint still on the projectile? I think the general looks could also have been improved by an oxalic acid treatment to remove the rust. As the paint wouldn't suffer from the acid, it would have saved you the headache of doing the painting all over, besides retaining originality.
Best regards, Menno.

The yellow one without the band is not mine and is in original condition, one wouldn't want to touch it , beyond a reband perhaps.
Mine had been a lamp and was polished smooth and nickle plated, it had a casing some years ago, but the chap who sold it has no idea and doesn't remember it now ~

"I tried caterpillar yellow and chose school bus yellow over the caterpillar."
I just tried school bus yellow and I have to agree with Hazord, it's a bit more yellow and less mustard than the caterpiller.
I think the caterpiller in a pinch is not bad for a British projectile. I may try it on one if something of no importance comes along.
It's a bit subjective depending on what you have to copy and it's condition, even very difficult to show in outside light the true
nature of the colour used. The same colour by different manufacturers likely vary as well so very close is perhaps the best one can hope for. How good and consistant were the paints used back then and things do discolour over time so perfection may be impossible.

Attachments

• SDC10203.jpg
    SDC10203.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The exact correct colour for a shell....one of the most difficult things in the finishing stages.

How it looks depends more on the lighting than what I do to it, but it's actually duller after I
used a paste of baking soda on it while spinning it. I didn't want to over do it and end up repainting.
I could have used super fine steel wool, but that might be too rough ?
I have to get a turn table base that has wider support, this nonsence is an accident waiting to happen ~
I know these are sold in hardware stores.

Attachments

• SDC10223.jpg
    SDC10223.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 20
  • SDC10221.jpg
    SDC10221.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 20