What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AN-M3 Smoke Grenade

Hard grenade to find, I don't think many survived. The data for it listed in Lexpev makes me wonder about mine. I've never measured it, but in my photo it looks larger than what he has listed, 76mm vs the 60/62mm for M8-M18. I may have to measure it this weekend.

Grenade 2a.jpg

Here is mine with original can. It came out of an Air Force "red sled" arctic survival kit at Malmstrom Air Force Base in the early 1950's. It was out of date and scheduled for destruction. My Father (who was stationed there) brought it home for possible 4th of July use. Fortunately, it was never used and was passed on to me in the late 70's for my collection. Note the red paint inside the can, indicating they were in a hurry to pack the still dripping smoke grenade!
It measures 87cm in diameter. Sorry, but no cutaway as initially requested. Pat
AN-M3 Smoke Grenade 1.jpgAN-M3 Smoke Grenade 2.jpgAN-M3 Smoke Grenade 3.jpgAN-M3 Smoke Grenade 4.jpg

It is an interesting grenade. Plus the wings make for good trivia for young EOD techs who have never read the old manuals. Thanks for the pics.

Joe