What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Monster Acquisition - Any ideas what it is??

MikeS0000

My Monster Acquisition - Photos Added

With three ruptured disks this is the last thing I needed, but no way could I resist.

Now..., what the heck is it. Diameter just above the driving ring is 6"s. No visible markings and it appears to be a cast iron (cast steel?), as there are casting marks on the body. Weight is about 75-80lbs. (or thereabouts). It is unfired and I have pictured it next to a 57mm. APCBC for perspective. Takes a threaded fuze.

Any thoughts appreciated.

- Best Regards! Mike

Part 2:

Got around to some more specifics and here's what I have:

1. Height = 24"s
2. Threads = 12/Inch (I believe) Unfortunately it is quite rusted inside. The outsoie is not bad at all.
3. Cleaned out the inside, 6"s or rust, mouse nests, paper and other unsavory 'stuff.' and it is tapered at the base.
4. Depth goes to just below the driving band. Appears solid below that.
5. Markings - Only those is the photo. A '4' couple of unknowns and looks to be '77.'

Have added photos of (before cleaning) the base, band, upper shell and markings. Then a photo after a light cleaning. Last photo added as reply. It's a bit strange, as the outside is in quite good condition while the base as you can see and the inside are very well rusted. Found a photo on page 145 of this 1918 book on Ordnance that looks similar.

Still sitting in the garage. Arrggghhhhh it is heavy! :tinysmile_cry_t4:

And oh yes..., thoughts on what to do with it appreciated!! :smile:

- Best Regards, Mike

Attachments

• 6-inch-shell.jpg
    6-inch-shell.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 115
  • Proj1.jpg
    Proj1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Proj2.jpg
    Proj2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Proj3.jpg
    Proj3.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Proj4.jpg
    Proj4.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
What is it ?

Looks like a nice little 5.5" inch projectile to me !
Should weigh in at 80 to 85 pounds in weight !
I am sure someone out there will tell you exactly what it is if I am not right.:tinysmile_shutup_t:

Mystery item ?

Also what thread does it have ?
5.5" inch should have a 2" in 14 Teeth per Inch "Whitworth" form thread.
155 mm will most likely have a 2" in 12 Teeth Per Inch "Unified" thread.

Can you measure the body diameter ?
Chris:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Markings photo and phot of Semi-Steel Shell from Ordnance book....

Attachments

• Proj5.jpg
    Proj5.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 22
  • SS-Shell.jpg
    SS-Shell.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I d

Now I have seen the oicture of the driving band I would say it is very likely to be a 155mm Projectile especially as it has the rear welded gas check on the base, also I suspect that it may be American in origin due to the shape of the base.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
That well defined "Bourellet" is very typical of American 155 mm ammo.

Attachments

• 155 MM HE MI07.JPG
    155 MM HE MI07.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Thanks Chris, blu -

If I had to guess, I would think it may have been at a monument, legion hall or similar location. There are quite a few neat items that pop out of these places as they renovate/update or unfortunately fade away.

- Mike

Last edited:
Defiantly a 155mm there should be some markings just above the driving band.

Thanks Chris, blu -

Couple other quick questions...

1. Any ideas on the time period, as to when this may have been made? The tag on it said WW2, but I have some question on that.
2. Is there any way to tell the application, HE, Gas, etc?
3. This is a stupid one, but the band wouldn't have been painted originally, would it?
4. Finally, although I think it is great, in your opinion are these collectible? I paid $20USD and they carried it out to the car. So, I'm real happy with my acquisition, just wondering how 'wacky' I really am! :tinysmile_shy_t:

blu - I've scoped it out for markings, but all I can find are the ones in the following picture, "4 over (couple of odd symbols) and then a (I believe) 77." The '77' may be another symbol. When the shell is standing upright these are vertical, from below the bourrelet (sp?) towards the band.

- Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited:
For the period,these where used in WW2 and is stil the most widespread artillery now, but however yours is stamped 77 this would mean 1977.
Yours is a HE projo becaus it has a welded gas check plate on the back.
The driving must be unpaited.
And if you are happy with for you it is collectible so be happy with it.
By the way, origenally it would be painted olive green.

Hello blu -

Thanks very much for the great info. This is certainly not one of my areas of expertise!

One other observation. I finally dragged the scales out to the barn and popped it on them. The weight of the projectile comes up at just about 77lbs. Any chance the '77' could be the weight instead of the date? Seems quite a coincidence.

But it sure looks like this one, as you mentioned... http://oldguns.net/pix/13045.jpg

- Best regards! Mike

Last edited:
The 77 is the date, on these shells they never put the weight on it, I looked at the weights an it ranges between 91.3 nd 94.6, Lb the explosive weight is between 14.6 and 15.4 Lb