What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

starting a collection.

Axisfan1

Hi all

im new! and well were do i start?? my father collects vintage moterbikes which includes a few WW2 british bike's which saw action one in particular is very nice altough its been painted black at some point!

we have a matchules which has a mounting bracket for a machine gun and its fitted with a side car also german but i belive its cevillian!

any way ive had an intrest in german WW2 equipment and im thinking of starting a collection im also thinking about purchaseing a K98 rifle for private hunting and target practice but first ill have to look in to obtaning a gun licence.

did they make a sniper version of the K98??

thanks and sorry for any spelling mistakes!:xd:

members collections

hi Axisfan1
the bikes sound very nice i used to like bikes but i kept getting knocked of them ?
as for K98 im sure they did a sniper vertion ?
but the other guys will let us know ,
as for your( speling its beter than mine ) :tinysmile_shy_t:
regards
Armystuff

Well now,as far as im aware i think that owning a K98 in the UK is totally out of the question?
Im sure that the law only allows shotguns for gamekeepers on a special Licence.
Perhaps some of my colleagues can help me out on this one?

best

waff

Last edited:
hi waffenamt
you can have a k98 in the uk i have one one my firearms license i shoot it at my gunclub as for having one for private hunting technically thats a yes but its not usually the type of gun you would use with it being 7.92 and being open sites etc and the sniper version with a scope is very expensive quite often go for over 2 grand but providing that you applied for a section 1 firearms license for vermin control under the grounds that you were able to use it on land approved by the police firearms unit for that caliber of rifle then they should be able to grant you the license but if the police say the land you have permission to shoot on from the owner isnt suitable for that caliber of rifle then they wont grant you the ticket but you could always join a gun club that has access to ranges for large bore rifles and do your shooting there as thats acceptable grounds for applying for a license but that will only allow you to use it on any approved range and not for vermin control or target practice in fields etc and this is only whilst a current member of a home office approved club but if you let your membership lapse at the club you void your licence and are in breach of the conditions of license and are then technically holding firearms with out a current licence as you only got granted it in the first place on the basis that you were a member of a home office approved shooting club so never let your membership lapse or you could be in the brown smelly stuff hope this helps cheers

from chris

Last edited:
K98 Sniper rifles

Is there a K98 sniper? Yes, many different sorts. In fact there is a whole book JUST about the K98 sniper variations. Surprisingly it is called "Sniper Variations of the German K98k Rifle" by Richard D Law.

And talking about the law, there should be absolutely no problem about getting a FAC variation for a K98 in the UK, providing one is a member of an approved club that shoots that type of rifle in competitions.

I used to have a Zf.41 sight for a K98k, although that is more of an optical sight for sharpshooters rather than a true sniper telescopic sight, but even those now fetch hundreds of pounds.

Regards
TonyE

There is an outfit here, in America, that reproduces German WWII scopes. In fact they are sold through Numrich Gun Parts. They have Zf39 and Zf41 scopes (reproduction) and reproduction scope mount parts. Go have a look to whet your appetite.
Good Hunting.