What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

88 Gun Anti-Tank Round

and one more thing regarding wwii weapons on balcans. during war in 90's i have used MG42 with original german stamps, yugoslav designation of that machine gun was m56, but colloquial name among infantrymen was 'garo' meaning sooty.

Hi al'saad,
The last picture of the early 8.8 you posted, is that the APCR with a one piece ballistic cap? Very nice rounds thanks for posting.
Best regards Weasel.

Both shells are the common type APCBC with an explosive charge and a base fuze. The last type you depicted is the older type (8,8cm Pzgr) with the large base fuze (Bdz. fur 8,8cm Pzgr) , the first type you depicted is the 8,8cm Pzgr39 with the Bdz 5127. (small base fuze).
They have both nothing to do with APCR (Armour piercing composition ridgid) which exists of a hardened steel/ tungsten projectile enveloped in a projectile. The other term for APCR is HVAP
They would really fit well in my collection of 8,8cm Flak 18/36 &37 shells:tinysmile_fatgrin_t.
Regards DJH

Attachments

• 8,8cm collection.jpg
    8,8cm collection.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 85
Both shells are the common type APCBC with an explosive charge and a base fuze. The last type you depicted is the older type (8,8cm Pzgr) with the large base fuze (Bdz. fur 8,8cm Pzgr) , the first type you depicted is the 8,8cm Pzgr39 with the Bdz 5127. (small base fuze).
They have both nothing to do with APCR (Armour piercing composition ridgid) which exists of a hardened steel/ tungsten projectile enveloped in a projectile. The other term for APCR is HVAP
They would really fit well in my collection of 8,8cm Flak 18/36 &37 shells.
Regards DJH

can you as an 88 expert direct me to literature on this model:

DSC01292.jpg

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01290.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

on last picture it is noticeable that exploder is made in yugoslav ordnance factory in town bugojno on 1967 year...that is what cyrilic SRB 6701 stands for.

The only info I have is what I wrote in one of my own postings on the Wk2ammo forum.
http://www.wk2ammo.com/showthread.php?t=767
http://www.wk2ammo.com/showthread.php?t=1779

Strangely enough it looks like a mixture of both shells; yours has a screwed in booster-housing ring (like the PrZugz) and a screwed in base plate (like the 8,8cm SprGr. L/4,5 Kz (Kurz)), as well as the longitudal fragmentation lines on the side (like the PrZugz). I suppose the upper part of your shell was drilled out (after WW2) to house another booster (ring)

However, very interesting to see that this old stuff is still in use.
The picture on the page before here shows the Flak 36/37 in use by the Croatian army. Are these guns still in use today -either spare- or are they declared obsolete by now?

An interesting detail is the term Sk, meaning Soskowitz. Soskowitz was an explosives filling plant which was located right beside Auswitz. 13 is the type of filler, I would have to look up what the precise mixture was.

Regards DJH

Last edited:
i don't think that 88s are used anymore anywhere on balcans. yugoslav army obsoleted those guns until 1983 and they were in use in croatia and bosnia until modern weapon is provided.